U.S. commercial bank lending through 2008:Q4: new evidence from gross credit flows
How have U.S. commercial banks responded during the current financial crisis? What was hiding behind the dynamics of aggregate commercial bank loans through the end of 2008? We use balance sheet data for the entire population of commercial banks to construct quarterly gross credit flows (credit expansion and credit contraction series) for the U.S. banking system during the period 1999:Q1-2008:Q4 and provide new evidence on changes in lending. We show that credit expansion, as defined in this paper, began declining during the first half of 2008 while credit contraction began steeply increasing only between the third and fourth quarters of 2008. Until then net credit growth was below trend but positive and not dissimilar to the 1980 and 2001 recessions. However, between the third and fourth quarter credit contraction grew larger than credit expansion across all types of loans (real estate, individual, commercial, and industrial loans) and for the largest banks. On the contrary, smaller banks continued to display positive net credit growth. Once we include 2008:Q4 data, the cyclical properties of our series most resemble the beginning of the 1991 recession and the intensification of the Savings and Loan crisis.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1995.
"Why do banks disappear? The determinants of U.S. bank failures and acquisitions,"
1995-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2000. "Why do Banks Disappear? The Determinants of U.S. Bank Failures and Acquisitions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 127-138, February.
- Eric Van Wincoop & Cedric Tille, 2007.
"International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
12856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2007. "International capital flows," Staff Reports 280, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Tille, Cédric & van Wincoop, Eric, 2008. "International Capital Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 6705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cedric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2007. "International Capital Flows," Working Papers 122007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Contessi, Silvio & De Pace, Pierangelo & Francis, Johanna L., 2013.
"The cyclical properties of disaggregated capital flows,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 528-555.
- Silvio Contessi & Pierangelo DePace & Johanna Francis, 2008. "The cyclical properties of disaggregated capital flows," Working Papers 2008-041, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Silvio Contessi & Pierangelo De Pace & Johanna Francis, 2009. "The Cyclical Properties of Disaggregated Capital Flows," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-05, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2000.
"Gross Credit Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2569, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2008. "Paying interest on deposits at Federal Reserve banks," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006.
"Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
12129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap, 2008. "Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1943-77, December.
- Ethan Cohen-Cole & Burcu Duygan-Bump & José Fillat & Judit Montoriol-Garriga, 2008. "Looking behind the aggregates: a reply to “Facts and Myths about the Financial Crisis of 2008”," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU08-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Herrera, Ana Maria & Kolar, Marek & Minetti, Raoul, 2011. "Credit reallocation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(6), pages 551-563.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2009-011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.