TARP beneficiaries and their lending patterns during the financial crisis
This paper provides a systematic analysis of the lending performance of U.S. commercial banks and savings institutions that received financial support through the Capital Purchase Program (CPP) established in October 2008. The authors combine U.S. Treasury data on recipients of the CPP with quarterly financial data for the entire population of depository institutions to reconstruct aggregate lending and gross credit flows (expansion and contraction). CPP institutions experienced a less severe lending contraction than non-CPP institutions for all types of loans and bank asset levels. The authors find no evidence of unusual reallocation of lending across depository institutions.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): Mar ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Craig P. Aubuchon & David C. Wheelock, 2010. "The geographic distribution and characteristics of U.S. bank failures, 2007-2010: do bank failures still reflect local economic conditions?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 395-415.
- Cara Lown & Stavros Peristiani & Kenneth J. Robinson, 2006. "Financial Sector Weakness and the M2 Velocity Puzzle," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(4), pages 699-715, October.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Garibaldi, Pietro, 2000.
"Gross Credit Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2569, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna L. Francis, 2009.
"U.S. commercial bank lending through 2008:Q4: new evidence from gross credit flows,"
2009-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna L. Francis, 2013. "U.S. Commercial Bank Lending Through 2008:Q4: New Evidence From Gross Credit Flows," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 428-444, 01.
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna Francis, 2009. "U.S. Commercial Bank Lending through 2008:Q4: New Evidence from Gross Credit Flows," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-04, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008.
"Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010. "Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:2011:i:mar:p:105-126:n:v.93no.2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.