An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes
We analyse the wide array of rescue programmes adopted in several countries, following Lehman Brothersï¿½ default in September 2008, in order to support banks and other financial institutions. We first provide an overview of the programmes, comparing their characteristics, magnitudes and participation rates across countries. We then consider the effects of the programmes on banksï¿½ risk and valuation, looking at the behaviour of CDS premia and stock prices. We then proceed to analyse the issuance of government guaranteed bonds by banks, examining their impact on banksï¿½ funding and highlighting undesired effects and distortions. Finally, we briefly review the recent evolution of bank lending to the private sector. We draw policy implications, in particular as regards the way of mitigating the distortions implied by such programmes and the need for an exit strategy.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna L. Francis, 2013.
"U.S. Commercial Bank Lending Through 2008:Q4: New Evidence From Gross Credit Flows,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 428-444, 01.
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna L. Francis, 2009. "U.S. commercial bank lending through 2008:Q4: new evidence from gross credit flows," Working Papers 2009-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Silvio Contessi & Johanna Francis, 2009. "U.S. Commercial Bank Lending through 2008:Q4: New Evidence from Gross Credit Flows," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-04, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Ethan Cohen-Cole & Burcu Duygan-Bump & José Fillat & Judit Montoriol-Garriga, 2008. "Looking behind the aggregates: a reply to “Facts and Myths about the Financial Crisis of 2008”," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU08-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_47_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.