Changes in Returns to Education in India, 1983-94: By Gender, Age-Cohort and Location
There is hardly any estimate of the returns to schooling in India based on a national level representative data for the recent period. This paper provides estimates of the returns to education in India by gender, age cohort and location (by rural-urban) for the most recent period 1993/4, and also evaluates the changes in returns over a period of time from 1983-94 using a large national level household survey data. The data show that the returns to education increases up to the secondary level and declines thereafter. There is evidence of substantial gender and rural-urban differences in the returns to schooling. The returns to women's education for the primary and middle levels have declined while those for secondary and college levels have increased during the decade 1983-94.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 8269, New Haven CT 06520-8269|
Phone: (203) 432-3610
Fax: (203) 432-3898
Web page: http://www.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schultz, T. Paul, 1988. "Education investments and returns," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 543-630 Elsevier.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Colm Harmon & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2000.
"A Review of Estimates of the Schooling/Earnings Relationship, with Tests for Publication Bias,"
NBER Working Papers
7457, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Harmon, Colm & Oosterbeek, Hessel, 1999. "A review of estimates of the schooling/earnings relationship, with tests for publication bias," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 453-470, November.
- Ashenfelter, O. & Harmon, C. & Oosterbeek, H., 1999. "A Review of Estimates of the Schooling/ Earnings Relationship, with tests for Publication Bias," Papers 99/20, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Colm Harmon & Hessel Oosterbeek, 1999. "A Review of Estimates of the Schooling/Earnings Relationship, with Tests for Publication Bias," Working Papers 804, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Colm Harmon & Ian Walker, 1995.
"Estimates of the economic return to schooling for the United Kingdom,"
Open Access publications
10197/647, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Harmon, Colm & Walker, Ian, 1995. "Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling for the United Kingdom," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1278-86, December.
- Heyneman, Stephen P., 1980. "Investment in Indian education: Uneconomic?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 145-163, February.
- Dougherty, Christopher R. S. & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1991. "The specification of earnings functions: Tests and implications," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 85-98, June.
- Schultz, T-P, 1996.
"Wage and Labor Supply effects of Illness in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana : Instrumental Variable Estimates for Days Disabled,"
757, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Schultz, T. Paul & Tansel, Aysit, 1997. "Wage and labor supply effects of illness in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana: instrumental variable estimates for days disabled," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 251-286, August.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1989. "Time trends of the returns to education: Cross-national evidence," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 225-231, June.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Schultz, T.P. & Mwabu, G., 1998.
"Wage Premia for Education and Location, by Gender and Race in South Africa,"
785, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- T. Paul Schultz & Germano Mwabu, 1998. "Wage Premia for Education and Location, By Gender and Race in South Africa," Working Papers 785, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:egc:wpaper:815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Danishevsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.