Mosquitoes: The Long-term Effects of Malaria Eradication in India
We examine the effects of malaria on educational attainment and income by exploiting geographic variation in malaria prevalence in India prior to a nationwide eradication program in the 1950s. We find that the program led to modest increases in income for prime age men. This finding is robust to using very localized sources of geographic variation and to instrumenting for pre-eradication prevalence with climate factors. We do not observe improvements in income for women, suggesting that observed effects are likely driven by increased labor market productivity. We find no evidence of increased educational attainment for men, and mixed evidence for women.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||CH ED HC HE LS PE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Barreca, 2009.
"The Long-Term Economic Impact of In Utero and Postnatal Exposure to Malaria,"
0905, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Alan I. Barreca, 2010. "The Long-Term Economic Impact of In Utero and Postnatal Exposure to Malaria," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(4), pages 865-892.
- Duraisamy, P., 2000.
"Changes in Returns to Education in India, 1983-94: By Gender, Age-Cohort and Location,"
815, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Duraisamy, P., 2002. "Changes in returns to education in India, 1983-94: by gender, age-cohort and location," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 609-622, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007.
"Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrienne M. Lucas, 2011.
"The Impact of Malaria Eradication on Fertility,"
11-20, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- P. Duraisamy, 2000. "Changes in Returns to Education in India, 1983-94: By Gender, Age-Cohort and Location," Working Papers 815, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Hoyt Bleakley, 2006. "Malaria In The Americas: A Retrospective Analysis Of Childhood Exposure," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003185, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:13539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.