The Unemployment Gender Gap in a Comparative Perspective
This paper analyses the unemployment gender gap by using a three-state labour market model (Employment, Unemployment, Inactivity) which enables us to determine the equilibrium (steady-state) unemployment rate and the contribution that a single transition probability from each state makes to the unemployment differentials between males and females. This investigation falls within a comparative framework, in that we apply our methodology to the Italian and the UK labour markets. This comparison is relevant in that it considers two diversified institutional contexts, one typical of the so called Anglo-Saxon model, characterised by more flexible labour market legislations, and the continental model, which in contrast involves tighter legislative controls and more restrictive institutions. The analysis draws on the Italian and the UK Labour Force Surveys for the period 2006-2013. In addition, we propose an econometric model which enables us to estimate the determinants of the unemployment gender gaps, in order to pinpoint the relative role of individual characteristics (age, human capital) and other structural factors in determining such a gap.
|Date of creation:||05 Mar 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Medina, 40 - 80133 Napoli|
Phone: +39 0815474736
Fax: +39 0815474750
Web page: http://www.crisei.uniparthenope.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gomes, Pedro, 2012.
"Labour market flows: Facts from the United Kingdom,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 165-175.
- Gomes, Pedro Maia, 2010. "Labour Market Flows: Facts from the United Kingdom," IZA Discussion Papers 5327, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ghazala Azmat & Maia Güell & Alan Manning, 2006. "Gender Gaps in Unemployment Rates in OECD Countries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Ghazala Azmat & Maia Güell & Alan Manning, 2003. "Gender Gaps in Unemployment Rates in OECD Countries," Working Papers 137, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ghazala Azmat & Maia Güell & Alan Manning, 2004. "Gender Gaps in Unemployment Rates in OECD Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0607, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ghazala Azmat & Maia Guell & Alan Manning, 2004. "Gender gaps in unemployment rates in OECD countries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19995, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Azmat, Ghazala & Güell, Maia & Manning, Alan, 2004. "Gender Gaps in Unemployment Rates in OECD Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 4307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer C. Smith, 2011. "The Ins and Outs of UK Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 402-444, 05.
- Smith, Jennifer, 2010. "The Ins and Outs of UK Unemployment," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 944, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Anonymous, 2009. "2009 Annual Agricultural Outlook," Staff Papers 47453, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1982. "The Determinants of Equilibrium Unemployment in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 555-575, September.
- Anonymous, 2009. "Grains And Oilseeds Outlook For 2009," Agricultural Outlook Forum 2009 50610, United States Department of Agriculture.
- Silva, José I. & Vázquez-Grenno, Javier, 2013. "The ins and outs of unemployment in a two-tier labor market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 161-169.
- Silva, José I. & Vázquez-Grenno, Javier, 2012. "The Ins and Outs of Unemployment in a Two-Tier Labor Market," Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies 2012:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- José I. Silva & Javier Vázquez-Grenno, 2012. "The ins and outs of unemployment in a two-tier labor market," Working Papers 2012/17, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, September.
- Robert Shimer, 2012. "Reassessing the Ins and Outs of Unemployment," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(2), pages 127-148, April.
- Robert Shimer, 2007. "Reassessing the Ins and Outs of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 13421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Narendranathan, Wiji & Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Modelling the process of job search," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 29-49, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crj:dpaper:5_2015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margherita Gallo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.