China and the Dutch economy
Chinaâ€™s spectacular economic performance over the past few decades has had a positive net impact on the Dutch economy. Imports of cheap Chinese products have lowered Dutch inflation. Increasing Chinese exports to Europe have strengthened the role of the Netherlands as a key European distribution centre. Strongly increasing Chinese exports did not have a noticeable impact on the pace of restructuring in the Netherlands. Nor did this development lead to higher unemployment or did it cause a marked widening of Dutch income differentials. Concerning competition on world markets, Chinese export products are more complements than substitutes for Dutch export products. The Chinese economy is expected to continue its rapid expansion. Over the next five years, Chinese exports are likely to double. Increasing trade with China will continue and is expected to enhance Dutch welfare in the upcoming years and will continue to be associated with modest increases in competition and continued restructuring on some markets.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wim Suyker & Henri de Groot & P. Buitelaar, 2007. "India and the Dutch economy; stylised facts and prospects," CPB Document 155, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica C. Warnock, 2005.
"International capital flows and U.S. interest rates,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
840, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica C. Warnock, 2005. "International Capital Flows and U.S. Interest Rates," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp103, IIIS.
- Francis E. Warnock & Veronica Cacdac Warnock, 2006. "International Capital Flows and U.S. Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 12560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
- Alwyn Young, 2003. "Gold into Base Metals: Productivity Growth in the People's Republic of China during the Reform Period," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1220-1261, December.
- C. Fred Bergsten & Bates Gill & Nicholas R. Lardy, 2006. "China: The Balance Sheet What the World Needs to Know Now about the Emerging Superpower," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa04648.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2006.
"Rebalancing Growth in China: A Three-Handed Approach,"
China & World Economy,
Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(4), pages 1-20.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2006. "Rebalancing Growth in China: A Three-Handed Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter K. Schott, 2006.
"The Relative Sophistication of Chinese Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
12173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry EICHENGREEN & Hui TONG, 2006. "How China is Reorganizing the World Economy," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(1), pages 73-97.
- Philipp Maier, 2006. "China in 2006: An economist's view," DNB Occasional Studies 405, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- WHALLEY, John & XIN, Xian, 2010.
"China's FDI and non-FDI economies and the sustainability of future high Chinese growth,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-135, March.
- John Whalley & Xian Xin, 2006. "China's FDI and Non-FDI Economies and the Sustainability of Future High Chinese Growth," NBER Working Papers 12249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yue, Changjun & Hua, Ping, 2002. "Does comparative advantage explains export patterns in China?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 276-296.
- Albert G. Z. Hu & Gary H. Jefferson, 2002. "FDI Impact and Spillover: Evidence from China's Electronic and Textile Industries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(8), pages 1063-1076, 08.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Progress in Chinaâ€™s Banking Sector Reform: Has Bank Behavior Changed?," IMF Working Papers 06/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R., 2001.
"The new open economy macroeconomics: a survey,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 235-266, August.
- Michael F. Förster & Marco Mira d'Ercole, 2005. "Income Distribution and Poverty in OECD Countries in the Second Half of the 1990s," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 22, OECD Publishing.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006.
"India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows,"
NBER Working Papers
12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006. "India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006. "India's Pattern of Development: What Happened, What Follows?," IMF Working Papers 06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- R. Nahuis & H.M. de Groot, 2003.
"Rising Skills Premia. You ain't seen nothing yet,"
03-02, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Eswar Prasad & Raghuram Rajan, 2006.
"Modernizing China's Growth Paradigm,"
IMF Policy Discussion Papers
06/03, International Monetary Fund.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2005.
"Global Current Account Imbalances and Exchange Rate Adjustments,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 36(1), pages 67-146.
- Kenneth Rogoff & William Brainard & George Perry, . "Global Current Account Imbalances and Exchange Rate Adjustments," Working Paper 33687, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006.
"The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing,"
NBER Working Papers
12398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory Mankiw, N. & Swagel, Phillip, 2006. "The politics and economics of offshore outsourcing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1027-1056, July.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2120, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Phillip Swagel & N. Gregory Mankiw, 2005. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Working Papers 49881, American Enterprise Institute.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "How the Dragon Captured the World Export Markets: Outsourcing and Foreign Investment Lead the Way," PIER Working Paper Archive 04-042, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Eswar Prasad, 2004. "China's Growth and Integration into the World Economy: Prospects and Challenges," IMF Occasional Papers 232, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2005. "China’s Integration in East Asia: Production Sharing, FDI & High-Tech Trade," Working Papers 2005-09, CEPII research center.
- Arjan Lejour, 2003. "Quantifying four scenarios for Europe," CPB Document 38, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Steve Golub & Dana Hajkova & Daniel Mirza & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "Policies and International Integration: Influences on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 359, OECD Publishing.
- Ruud de Mooij, 2006. "Reinventing the welfare state," CPB Special Publication 60, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Gregory Chow, 2006. "Are Chinese Official Statistics Reliable?," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(2), pages 396-414, June.
- Lee Branstetter & Nicholas Lardy, 2006. "China's Embrace of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 12373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151.
- Ruud de Mooij & Paul Tang, 2003. "Four futures of Europe," CPB Special Publication 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Cheung Kui-yin & Lin, Ping, 2004. "Spillover effects of FDI on innovation in China: Evidence from the provincial data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-44.
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2006. "The role of financial marketsÃ• openness in the transmission of shocks in Europe," NIESR Discussion Papers 1138, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:docmnt:127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.