Economic benefits of an Integrated European Market for Services
A Single Market for Services in the European Union is not yet a reality. The European Commission launched proposals that would remove some negative trade impacts caused by national regulation differences. We apply a general equilibrium model (WorldScan) to assess what economic benefits the proposed Services Directive may have throughout the European Union. The simulations show that European GDP and consumption could rise substantially. Most of the new accession countries will experience larger than average gains, because their services trade is now still hampered by relatively severe regulatory barriers. The Commission proposals cause a shift in industry specialisation. Some of the original EU Member States increase their relative specialisation in commercial services due to the more open borders. The new accession countries, however, reallocate more resources to their manufacturing activity where they have the strongest comparative advantage. We also assessed the effects of a policy variant that corresponds with the amended 2006 Services Directive without the 'country of origin' principle. Economic benefits are substantially smaller, implicitly showing the economic benefits of mutual recognition of regulatory standards.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Gomez-Plana, Antonio G., 2005.
"Simulating the effects of the European Single Market: A CGE analysis for Spain,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 689-709, September.
- Oscar Bajo & Antonio Gómez, 2005. "Simulating The Effects Of The European Single Market: A Cge Analysis For Spain," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0503, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, . "Simulating the effects of the European single market: a CGE analysis for Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 208, FEDEA.
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498, June.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Steve Golub & Dana Hajkova & Daniel Mirza & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "Policies and International Integration: Influences on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 359, OECD Publishing.
- Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås & Enrico Pinali & Massimo Geloso Grosso, 2006. "Logistics and Time as a Trade Barrier," OECD Trade Policy Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Arjan Lejour, 2003. "Quantifying four scenarios for Europe," CPB Document 38, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2005. "Regulatory heterogeneity as obstacle for international services trade," CPB Discussion Paper 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Ruud de Mooij & Paul Tang, 2003. "Four futures of Europe," CPB Special Publication 49, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Arjan Lejour & Henk Kox & Roland de Bruijn, 2006. "The trade-induced effects of the Services Directive and the country of origin principle," CPB Document 108, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Samitas, Aristeidis G. & Kenourgios, Dimitris F., 2005. "Entrepreneurship, small and medium size business markets and European economic integration," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 363-374, April.
- Henk Kox & Arjan Lejour, 2006. "The Effects of the Services Directive on Intra-eu Trade and fdi," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 747-769.
- Arjan Lejour & Paul Veenendaal & Gerard Verweij & Nico van Leeuwen, 2006. "Worldscan; a model for international economic policy analysis," CPB Document 111, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Roland de Bruijn, 2006. "Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition in WorldScan," CPB Memorandum 140, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta & Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Summary Indicators of Product Market Regulation with an Extension to Employment Protection Legislation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
- Adams, Philip D., 2005. "Interpretation of results from CGE models such as GTAP," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 941-959, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:30:y:2008:i:2:p:301-319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.