Evidence-based Trade Policy Decision Making in Australia and the Development of Computable General Equilibrium Modelling
This paper explains why evidence-based trade policy decision making is heavily reliant on results generated by CGE models and why the development and application of these modelling has been particularly active in Australia. The paper provides a short history of CGE modelling and describes the impetus to the field provided by two factors: (a) the failures of less theoretically formal approaches; and (b) the recognition of the ability of CGE modelling to handle policy-relevant detail. The paper argues that CGE modelling flourished in Australia because Australia had the right issue, the right institutions and the right model.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixon, P.B. & Parmenter, B.R. & Sutton, J., 1978. "Spatial Disaggregation of Orani Results: A Preliminary Analysis of the Impact of Protection at the State Level," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 35-86.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer & Marinos E. Tsigas, 2004. "Macro, industry and state effects in the U.S. of removing major tariffs and quotas," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-146, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 74-79, January.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 112-117, January.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, December.
- John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1973. "General Equilibrium with Taxes: A Computational Procedure and an Existence Proof," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 475-489.
- Bandara, Jayatilleke S, 1991. " Computable General Equilibrium Models for Development Policy Analysis in LDCs," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 3-69.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-1051, September.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:g-163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.