Welfare Costs of US Quotas in Textiles, Steel and Autos
This paper quantifies welfare costs and resource shifts that would occur if US quantitative restrictions in textiles, steel and autos were removed. Estimates are derived from a static ten-sector general the equilibrium model of the US economy. The welfare loss from the quantitative restrictions is estimated at approximately 1984 US$20 to their high rent transfer component (about 75%), these restrictions are equivalent (in welfare terms) to an average across the board tariff of 20% such rates were common in the early days of multilateral tariff reduction.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Robert E. & Mutti, John H. & Richardson, J. David, 1980. "Welfare effects on the United States of a significant multilateral tariff reduction," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 405-423, August.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jones, Ronald W & Berglas, Eitan, 1977. "Import Demand and Export Supply: An Aggregation Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 183-87, March.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Trade Liberalization among Major World Trading Areas," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262231204, June.
- Anderson, James E, 1985. "The Relative Inefficiency of Quotas: The Cheese Case," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 178-90, March.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1988. "Quality Change under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-46, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.