Social Accounting Matrices(SAMs) and CGE Modeling:Using Macroeconomic Computable General Equilibrium Models for Assessing Poverty Impact of Structural Adjustment Policies
The paper surveys selectively and analytically the implications of the various (macroeconomic) computable general equilibrium (CGE) models constructed for the purpose of integrating poverty analysis with the usual macroeconomic variables and relationships. It is found that a dual-dual production structure with sufficient details on the labor markets and household side can capture some of the effects of trade liberalization on poverty reduction. Further work needs to be done in expanding the export sectors and adding financial structure in order to carry out a detailed analysis of the impact of both trade and financial liberalization on poverty reduction. To this end a preliminary model is presented which can be compactified to carry out this type of analysis. Four broad categories of Asian economies are suggested for further analysis. As a first step in this direction, a modified model based on data about the structure of Bangladesh economy can be used as a "generic" model for the least developed poor Asian economies.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Braverman, Avishay & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1982. "Sharecropping and the Interlinking of Agrarian Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 695-715, September.
- Murphy, Kevin M. & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1989.
"Industrialization and the Big Push,"
3606235, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Shantayanan Devarajana & Hafez Ghanem & Karen Thierfelder, 1999. "Labor market regulations, trade liberalization and the distribution of income in bangladesh," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-28.
- Vos, Rob, 1998. "Aid Flows and "Dutch Disease" in a General Equilibrium Framework for Pakistan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 77-109, February.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002.
"The Structure of Applied General Equilibrium Models,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262571579.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/3313, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 1997. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1653, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:99c01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, june. pag.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Poverty and Economic Growth with Application to Cote d'Ivoire," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(2), pages 121-39, June.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & GarcÃa-PeÃ±alosa, Cecilia, 1999.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories,"
12502063, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Cecilia Garcia-Penalosa & Eve Caroli & Philippe Aghion, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1615-1660, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia, 1999. "Inequality and economic growth: the perspective of the new growth theories," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9908, CEPREMAP.
- de Melo, Jaime, 1988. "Computable general equilibrium models for trade policy analysis in developing countries: A survey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 469-503.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Cororaton, Caesar B., 2003. "Analyzing the Impact of Philippine Tariff Reform on Unemployment, Distribution and Poverty Using CGE-Microsimulation Approach," Discussion Papers DP 2003-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ljungqvist, Lars, 1993. "Economic underdevelopment : The case of a missing market for human capital," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 219-239, April.
- de Melo, Jaime & Robinson, Sherman, 1982. "Trade adjustment policies and income distribution in three archetype developing economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 67-92, February.
- Bandara, Jayatilleke S, 1991. " Computable General Equilibrium Models for Development Policy Analysis in LDCs," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 3-69.
- Quibria, M.G., 2002. "Growth and Poverty: Lessons from the East Asian Miracle Revisited," MPRA Paper 2638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lohmann, Susanne, 1992. "Optimal Commitment in Monetary Policy: Credibility versus Flexibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 273-86, March.
- Adsera, Alicia & Ray, Debraj, 1998. "History and Coordination Failure," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 267-76, September.
- Thissen, Mark, 1998. "A classification of empirical CGE modelling," Research Report 99C01, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider, 1997. "Technology choice and income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 153-165, February.
- Karen Thierfelder & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Trade and Tradability: Exports, Imports, and Factor Markets in the Salter-Swan Model," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(244), pages 103-111, 03.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "Regional Computable General Equilibrium Modeling: A Survey and Critical Appraisal," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(3), pages 205-248, December.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Lewis, Jeffrey D & Robinson, Sherman, 1993. "External Shocks, Purchasing Power Parity, and the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Bourguignon, Francois & De Melo, Jaime & Suwa, Akiko, 1991. "Modeling the effects of adjustment programs on income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1527-1544, November.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bourguignon, F. & De Melo, J. & Suwa, A., 1990.
"Distributional Effects of Adjustment Policies: Simulations for Two Archetype Economies,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-31, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Akiko Suwa, 1991. "Distributional effects of adjustment policies : simulations for two archetypes economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 674, The World Bank.
- AGENOR Pierre-Richard & FERNANDES Reynaldo & HADDAD Eduardo & VAN DER MENSBRUGGHE Dominique, . "Analyzing the Impact of Adjustment Policies on the Poor: An IMMPA Framework for Brazil," EcoMod2003 330700002, EcoMod.
- Perroni, C. & Rutherford, T.F., 1995. "A Comparison of the Performance of Flexible Functional Forms for Use in Applied General Equilibrium Analysis," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 441, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lars Peter Hansen & James J. Heckman, 1996. "The Empirical Foundations of Calibration," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 87-104, Winter.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Masson, Paul R, 1999. "Credibility, Reputation, and the Mexican Peso Crisis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 70-84, February.
- Pereira, Alfredo M. & Shoven, John B., 1988. "Survey of dynamic computational general equilibrium models for tax policy evaluation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 401-436.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2007cf463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.