CGE models for the analysis of trade policy in developing countries
The use of computable general equilibrium (CGE) simulation models for policy analysis has become widespread. However, such techniques are not well suited to economywide analysis in developing countries. Instead, simulation models relying on"borrowed"parameter estimates have been used for a wider range of applications in developing countries. This survey begins with a presentation of the core structure of simulation models for trade policy analysis. It shows that a few share parameters and elasticities, leading to a fourway sectoral classification: exportables, importables, nontradables, and import-dependent sectors. The rest of the survey deals with a range of applications relating to trade policy, internal and external balances, and intertemporal issues. These economywide simulation models are good tools for quantifying the tradeoffs in policy packages that the Bank discusses with its clients. Future modeling exercises would nevertheless benefit from direct econometric estimates rather than"borrowed"parameter estimates.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Dixon, Peter B, 1978. "Economies of Scale, Commodity Disaggregation and the Costs of Protection," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(30), pages 63-80, June.
- R. Dornbusch, 1975.
"The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy,"
165, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. " The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 255-75.
- Kemal Dervis & Sherman Robinson, 1982. "A general equilibrium analysis of the causes of a foreign exchange crisis : The case of Turkey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 118(2), pages 259-280, June.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Michel, Gilles, 1987.
"On closure rules, homogeneity and dynamics in applied general equilibrium models,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 65-76, June.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gilles Michel, 1987. "On closure rules: homogeneity and dynamics in applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9563, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Srinivasan, T N, 1980.
"Revenue Seeking: A Generalization of the Theory of Tariffs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(6), pages 1069-87, December.
- J. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1979. "Revenue-Seeking: A Generalization of the Theory of Tariffs," Working papers 243, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983.
"Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada,"
523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-45, February.
- Isard, Peter, 1977. "How Far Can We Push the "Law of One Price"?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 942-48, December.
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
- Condon, Timothy & de Melo, Jaime, 1991.
"Industrial Organization Implications of QR Trade Regimes: Evidence and Welfare Costs,"
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 139-53.
- Condon, Timothy & de Melo, Jaime, 1990. "Industrial organization implications of QR trade regimes : evidence and welfare costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 487, The World Bank.
- Decaluwe, B. & Martens, A., 1986. "Cge Modeling and Developing Economies: a Concise Empirical Survey of 56 Applications to 24 Countries," Cahiers de recherche 8626, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Taylor, Lance & Black, Stephen L., 1974. "Practical general equilibrium estimation of resource pulls under trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-58, April.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1989. "The Effects of Foreign Exchange Movements on U.S. Domestic Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 505-11, August.
- de Melo, Jaime & Urata, Shujiro, 1986. "The influence of increased foreign competition on industrial concentration and profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 287-304, September.
- R. Dornbusch, 1984.
"External Debt, Budget Deficits and Disequilibrium Exchange Rates,"
347, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1984. "External Debt, Budget Deficits and Disequilibrium Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 1336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chenery, Hollis B, 1975. "The Structuralist Approach to Development Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 310-16, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.