Import Competition and Market Power: Canadian Evidence
Part of Introduction: A number of international trade models have now been developed that account for imperfect competition. Although some of these models provide insight into situations where trade protection may be welfare improving, most indicate that imperfect competition provides additional sources of gains from trade. Many of these gains result from the “pro-competitive” effect of trade: import competition increases the perceived elasticity of demand for domestic firms, leading them to reduce their mark-ups of price over marginal cost.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2000|
|Publication status:||Published: Carleton Economic Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986.
"Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
2115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hubbard, R Glenn & Petersen, Bruce C, 1988. "Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Pravin Krishna & Devashish Mitra, .
"Trade Liberalization, Market Discipline and Productivity Growth: New Evidence From India,"
96-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Krishna, Pravin & Mitra, Devashish, 1998. "Trade liberalization, market discipline and productivity growth: new evidence from India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 447-462, August.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- de Melo, Jaime & Urata, Shujiro, 1986. "The influence of increased foreign competition on industrial concentration and profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Hunter, Linda, 1995. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 95-117, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521633574 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta & Dirk Pilat, 1996. "Mark-Up Ratios in Manufacturing Industries: Estimates for 14 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 162, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:car:carecp:99-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Renee Lortie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.