Industrial Organization Implications of QR Trade Regimes: Evidence and Welfare Costs
Evidence of the relationship between trade regimes, concentration and profitability in semi-industrial countries' manufacturing sectors is reviewed. This evidence is used to justify the formulation and simulation of a three sector general equilibrium model in which the manufacturing sector's behavior is linked to the degree of restrictiveness of the QR regime. Simulations are conducted with several variants of the model to ascertain separately the effects of introducing economies of scale, firm entry/exit, departures from competitive pricing, and interactions between entry and pricing rules. Numerical results suggest that a 20 percent rationing rate of intermediates and consumption goods can have welfare costs of about 2.0 percent of national income in the absence of economies of scale and industrial organization interactions with the trade regime. When industrial organization features are included, the costs of the same 20 percent rationing quadruples.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/econometrics/journal/181/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985.
"Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-145, February.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Working Papers 523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Jaime de Melo & David Roland-Holst, 1991.
"Industrial Organization and Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Korea,"
in: Empirical Studies of Commercial Policy, pages 287-310
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaime de Melo & David Roland-Holst, 2015. "Industrial Organization and Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Korea," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Modeling Developing Countries' Policies in General Equilibrium, chapter 18, pages 385-404 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- de Melo, Jaime & Roland-Holst, David, 1990. "Industrial organization and trade liberalization : evidence from Korea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 518, The World Bank.
- de Melo, Jaime & Roland-Holst, David, 1990. "Industrial Organization and Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Korea," CEPR Discussion Papers 399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
- Jere H. Behrman, 1976. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Chile," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number behr76-1, Enero.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991.
"Pro-competitive effects of trade reform : Results from a CGE model of Cameroon,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1157-1184, July.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1989. "Pro-Competitive Effects of Trade Reform: Results from a CGE Model of Cameroon," NBER Working Papers 3176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaime de MELO & Shujiro URATA, 2015.
"The Influence of Increased Foreign Competition on Industrial Concentration and Profitability,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Developing Countries in the World Economy, chapter 9, pages 219-236
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- de Melo, Jaime & Urata, Shujiro, 1986. "The influence of increased foreign competition on industrial concentration and profitability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen & Waterson, Michael, 1984. "The Profitability-Concentration Relation: Market Power or Efficiency?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 435-450, June.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Markusen, James R., 1986. "Up the average cost curve: Inefficient entry and the new protectionism," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 225-247, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:16:y:1991:i:1:p:139-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.