Industrial Organization and Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Korea
Based on evidence about industrial organization and market structure, this paper develops a CGE model with increasing returns to scale (IRTS) in selected industrial sectors in order to estimate the welfare gains Korea would achieve from abolishing the import restraints (tariffs and equivalent measures) prevailing in 1982. Under constant returns (CRTS) across the board, welfare gains are estimated at 1% of GDP. With IRTS in three industrial sectors, welfare gain estimates range from -0.5% to 10% of 1982 GDP, depending on the assumptions concerning price setting behavior and profit levels that existed under protecti.
|Date of creation:||May 1990|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991.
"Pro-competitive effects of trade reform : Results from a CGE model of Cameroon,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1157-1184, July.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1989. "Pro-Competitive Effects of Trade Reform: Results from a CGE Model of Cameroon," NBER Working Papers 3176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1989. "Theories of oligopoly behavior," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 329-414 Elsevier.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988.
"Completing the internal market in the European Community : Some industry simulations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1988. "Completing the Internal Market in the European Community: Some Industry Simulations," CEPR Discussion Papers 233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Don Gunasekera & Rod Tyers, 1989.
"Imperfect Competition and Returns to Scale in a Newly Industrialising Economy: A General Equilibrium Analysis of Korean Trade Policy,"
School of Economics Working Papers
1989-04, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Don, H. & Gunasekera, B. H. & Tyers, Rod, 1990. "Imperfect competition and returns to scale in a newly industrialising economy : A general equilibrium analysis of Korean trade policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 223-247, November.
- Richard G. Harris, 1989.
"The New Protectionism Revisited,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(4), pages 751-778, November.
- Condon, Timothy & de Melo, Jaime, 1991.
"Industrial Organization Implications of QR Trade Regimes: Evidence and Welfare Costs,"
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 139-153.
- T. Condon & J. de Melo, 2015. "Industrial Organization Implications of QR Trade Regimes: Evidence and Welfare Costs," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Modeling Developing Countries' Policies in General Equilibrium, chapter 19, pages 405-419 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Condon, Timothy & de Melo, Jaime, 1990. "Industrial organization implications of QR trade regimes : evidence and welfare costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 487, The World Bank.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Markusen, James R., 1986. "Up the average cost curve: Inefficient entry and the new protectionism," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 225-247, May.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries: Do Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies Matter?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 283-287, May.
- Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M., 1988.
"U.S.-Canada Bilateral Tariff Elimination: The Role Of Product Differentiation And Market Structure,"
227, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Robert M. Stern, 1989. "U.S.-Canada Bilateral Tariff Elimination: The Role of Product Differentiation and Market Structure," NBER Chapters, in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 217-254 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joel Bergsman, 1974. "Commercial Policy, Allocative Efficiency, and "X-Efficiency"," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 88(3), pages 409-433.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1985. "Trade and trade policy with imperfect competition: The case of identical products and free entry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 1-19, August.
- Richard Harris, 1983.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Richard, 1984. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-1032, December.
- Snape, Richard H, 1977. "Trade Policy in the Presence of Economies of Scale and Product Variety," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 53(144), pages 525-34, December.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- J. David Richardson & Robert S. Strauss & Michihiko Kunihiro & Edmund T. Pratt, Jr, 1988. "Trade Policy," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Cooperation, pages 167-232 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.