The Price Normalisation Problem in General Equilibriun Models with Oligopoly Power: An Attempt at Perspective
In general equilibrium models with oligopolistic firms, equilibrium outcomes may depend on the choice of numeraire. When firms have the power to influence prices strategically, different price normalisations entail objective profit functions which are generally not monotone transformations of each other. Hence, under the assumption of profit maximization an arbitrary change in the price normalisation rule amounts effectively to a change in the objective pursued by firms. Applied general equilibrium analysts using models with imperfect competition have largely ignored the price normalisation problem. In several recent contributions to the literature, applied modellers are explicitly criticized for their neglect to address the numeraire issue. The purpose of this paper is to assess the validity and practical relevance of these criticisms for applied policy analysis.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 15. Middlesex University Discussion Paper: Economics No.109 (rev)May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordella, Tito, 1998.
"Patterns of Trade and Oligopoly Equilibria: An Example,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 554-63, November.
- CORDELLA, Tito, 1992. "Patterns of trade and oligopoly equilibria: an example," CORE Discussion Papers 1992051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Pro-Competitive Effects of Trade Reform: Results from a CGE Model of Cameroon,"
NBER Working Papers
3176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Pro-competitive effects of trade reform : Results from a CGE model of Cameroon," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1157-1184, July.
- Mercenier, Jean, 1995.
"Nonuniqueness of Solutions in Applied General Equilibrium Models with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 161-77, June.
- Jean Mercenier, 1994. "Nonuniqueness of solutions in applied general equilibrium models with scale economies and imperfect competition," Staff Report 183, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Egbert Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 1996.
"The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the Objective of the Firm,"
96-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Birgit Grodal & Egbert Dierker, 1999. "The price normalization problem in imperfect competition and the objective of the firm," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 257-284.
- Egbert Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 1998. "The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the objective of the Firm," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Egbert DIERKER & Birgit GRODAL, 1996. "The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the Objective of the Firm," Vienna Economics Papers vie9616, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Victor Ginsburgh, 1994. "In the Cournot-Walras general equilibrium model, there may be 'more to gain' by changing the numeraire than by eliminating imperfections: a two-good economy example," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1885, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 2004. "Specification choice and robustness in CGE trade policy analysis with imperfect competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1099, December.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Vial, Jean-Philippe, 1972.
"Oligopoly "A la cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 381-400, June.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean & VIAL, Jean-Philippe, . "Oligopoly "Ã la Cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis," CORE Discussion Papers RP 106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Renström, Thomas I & Yalcin, Erkan, 2002. "Endogenous Firm Objectives," CEPR Discussion Papers 3361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bo Rasmussen, 1996. "Imperfectly competitive factor markets and price normalization," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 125-138, June.
- Dierker, Egbert & Grodal, Birgit, 1998. " Modelling Policy Issues in a World of Imperfect Competition," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 153-79, March.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983.
"Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada,"
523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-45, February.
- Erkan YalÁin & Thomas I. Renstr–m, 2003. "Endogenous Firm Objectives," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 5(1), pages 67-94, 01.
- Burniaux, Jean Marc & Waelbroeck, Jean, 1992. "Preliminary results of two experimental models of general equilibrium with imperfect competition," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 65-92, February.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Prescott, Edward C, 1995. "Introduction to the Symposium: The Discipline of Applied General Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-11, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- J.Peter Neary, 2003.
"Globalisation and Market Structure,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
100, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Hoffmann, Anders N., 2003. "Imperfect competition in computable general equilibrium models -- a primer," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 119-139, January.
- J. Peter Neary, 2002. "The road less travelled : oligopoly and competition policy in general equilibrium," Working Papers 200222, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Ruffin, Roy J., 2003. "Oligopoly and trade: what, how much, and for whom?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 315-335, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpge:0505002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.