The Welfare Effects of Trade and Capital Market Liberalization: Consequences of Different Sequencing Scenarios
This paper deals with the dynamics of trade and capital account liberalization in a developing country. The welfare consequences of trade and capital account liberalization under alternative sequencing scenarios are investigated. We draw on standard trade theory results to show that the opening of the capital account in the presence of trade distortions may be welfare reducing if foreign borrowing is used to increase investment. However we demonstrate that this welfare reducing effect of opening the capital account will not occur if shadow prices are used to guide investment decisions. It is then shown that if capital market restrictions fall disproportionally on investment (as opposed to consumption) a gradual reduction of import tariffs is superior to an abrupt trade liberalization.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Edwards, Sebastian and Sweder van Wijnbergen. "The Welfare Effects of Tradeand Capital Market Liberalization." International Economic Review, Vol. 27 , No.1, (February 1986), pp. 141-148.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brecher, Richard A. & Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1982. "Immiserizing transfers from abroad," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 353-364, November.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1983. "The Order of Liberalization of the Current and Capital Accounts of the Balance of Payments: A Survey of the Major Issues," UCLA Economics Working Papers 310, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
- Balassa, Bela, 1982. "Disequilibrium analysis in developing economies: An overview," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(12), pages 1027-1038, December.
- Bertrand, T. J. & Flatters, F., 1971. "Tariffs, capital accumulation and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 453-460, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.