Economics Liberalization and the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in Developing Countries
This paper deals with the relation between commercial policy and "the" equilibrium real exchange rate. The paper clarifies the meaning of real exchange rate by comparing five different definitions that are currently found in the literature, The analysis focuses on the effects of an economic liberalization program that reduces import tariffs on the equilibrium real exchange rate under a number of alternative assumptions regarding capital mobility. From a policy perspective this is an important issue, since countries that embark on liberalization are usually concerned with avoiding real exchange rate misalignment and overvaluation. The effects of terms of trade shocks on the equilibrium real exchange rate are also investigated.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1974. "Short-Run and Long-Run Equilibrium for a Small Open Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 955-67, Sept./Oct.
- Bacha, Edmar & Taylor, Lance, 1971. "Foreign Exchange Shadow Prices: A Critical Review of Current Theories," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 197-224, May.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Ahamed, Liaquat (ed.), 1986. "Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226184692.
- Edwards, Sebastian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986. "The Welfare Effects of Trade and Capital Market Liberalization," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 141-48, February.
- Jones, Ronald W. & Peter Neary, J., 1984. "The positive theory of international trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 1-62 Elsevier.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Brecher, Richard A, 1974. "Minimum Wage Rates and the Pure Theory of International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 98-116, February.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Short-Run Capital Specificity and the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 488-510, September.
- Arnold Harberger, 1986. "Economic Adjustment and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, pages 369-424 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanson, James & de Melo, Jaime, 1985. "External shocks, financial reforms, and stabilization attempts in Uruguay during 1974-1983," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 917-939, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521299695 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sebastian Edwards & Liaquat Ahamed, 1986. "Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number edwa86-1, December.
- Katseli, Louka T, 1983. "Devaluation: A Critical Appraisal of the IMF's Policy Prescriptions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 359-63, May.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1972. "Nontraded Goods and the Heckscher-Ohlin Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(1), pages 132-47, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:uclawp:433. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tim Kwok)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.