What Stayers Do? Capital Endowments and On-Farm Transitions in Rural China
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Li, Guo, 2003. "Does guanxi matter to nonfarm employment?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 315-331, June.
- Liu, Jing & Xing, Chunbing, 2016. "Migrate for education: An unintended effect of school district combination in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 192-206.
- Li, Xiaorong & Chan, Kam C., 2016. "Communist party control and stock price crash risk: Evidence from China," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 141(C), pages 5-7.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2002.
"Employment, emerging labor markets, and the role of education in rural China,"
China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 313-328.
- Scott Rozelle & Liniux Zhang & Jikun Huang, "undated". "Employment, Emerging Labor Markets, and the Role of Education in Rural China," REAP Papers 22568, Rural Education Action Project at Stanford University.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2002. "Employment, Emerging Labor Markets, And The Role Of Education In Rural China," Working Papers 11969, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Zhang, Jian & Giles, John & Rozelle, Scott, 2012.
"Does it pay to be a cadre? Estimating the returns to being a local official in rural China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-356.
- Zhang, Jian & Giles, John T. & Rozelle, Scott, 2012. "Does It Pay to Be a Cadre? Estimating the Returns to Being a Local Official in Rural China," IZA Discussion Papers 6653, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Zhang, Jian & Giles, John & Rozelle, Scott, 2012. "Does it pay to be a Cadre ? estimating the returns to being a local official in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6082, The World Bank.
- Stark, Oded, 1984. "Rural-to-Urban Migration in LDCs: A Relative Deprivation Approach," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(3), pages 475-486, April.
- Jin, Yanhong & Fan, Maoyong & Cheng, Mingwang & Shi, Qinghua, 2014. "The economic gains of cadre status in rural China: Investigating effects and mechanisms," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 185-200.
- Dekle, Robert & Vandenbroucke, Guillaume, 2012.
"A quantitative analysis of China's structural transformation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 119-135.
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006. "A quantitative analysis of China’s structural transformation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006. "A quantitative analysis of China’s structural transformation," Working Paper Series 2006-37, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, revised 2006.
- Robert Dekle & Guillaume Vandenbroucke, 2006. "A Quantitative Analysis of China’s Structural Transformation," IEPR Working Papers 06.51, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Schmidt, Peter & Strauss, Robert P, 1975. "The Prediction of Occupation Using Multiple Logit Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 471-486, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Gërxhani, Klarita, 2008.
"Mind the gap! Social capital, East and West,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 264-286, June.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Klarita Gërxhani, 2007. "Mind the Gap! Social Capital, East and West," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 07-10, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Klarita Gerxhani, 2007. "Mind the Gap! Social Capital, East and West," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp888, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lee, Seung Jung & Stebunovs, Viktors, 2016.
"Bank capital pressures, loan substitutability, and nonfinancial employment,"
Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 44-69.
- Seung Jung Lee & Viktors Stebunovs, 2016. "Bank Capital Pressures, Loan Substitutability, and Nonfinancial Employment," International Finance Discussion Papers 1161, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised Apr 2016.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Bollman, Ray, 1999.
"Family farm dynamics in Canada and Israel: the case of farm exits,"
Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 69-79, August.
- Ayal Kimhi & Ray Bollman, 1999. "Family farm dynamics in Canada and Israel: the case of farm exits," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(1), pages 69-79, August.
- Xiaolan Fu & V. N. Balasubramanyam, 2005. "Exports, Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: The Case of China," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(4), pages 607-625, April.
- Skriabikova, Olga J. & Dohmen, Thomas & Kriechel, Ben, 2014.
"New evidence on the relationship between risk attitudes and self-employment,"
Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 176-184.
- Skriabikova, Olga & Dohmen, Thomas & Kriechel, Ben, 2014. "New Evidence on the Relationship between Risk Attitudes and Self-Employment," IZA Discussion Papers 8354, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Best, Rohan, 2017.
"Switching towards coal or renewable energy? The effects of financial capital on energy transitions,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 75-83.
- Rohan Best, 2017. "Switching towards coal or renewable energy? The effects of financial capital on energy transitions," Departmental Working Papers 2017-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Gale, Fred, 2013. "Growth and Evolution in China's Agricultural Support Policies," Economic Research Report 155385, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hvide, Hans K. & Panos, Georgios A., 2014. "Risk tolerance and entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 200-223.
- Wang, Yahua & Chen, Chunliang & Araral, Eduardo, 2016. "The Effects of Migration on Collective Action in the Commons: Evidence from Rural China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 79-93.
- Hohnisch, M. & Pittnauer, S. & Selten, R. & Pfingsten, A. & Eraßmy, J., 2014. "Gender differences in decisions under profound uncertainty are non-robust to the availability of information on equally informed others’ decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 40-58.
- Mohapatra, Sandeep & Rozelle, Scott & Goodhue, Rachael, 2007. "The Rise of Self-Employment in Rural China: Development or Distress?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 163-181, January.
- Ahn, Taehyun, 2010. "Attitudes toward risk and self-employment of young workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 434-442, April.
- J. Edward Taylor, 1987. "Undocumented Mexico—U.S. Migration and the Returns to Households in Rural Mexico," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 69(3), pages 626-638.
- Zhao, Guochang & Ye, Jingjing & Li, Zhengyang & Xue, Sen, 2017. "How and why do Chinese urban students outperform their rural counterparts?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 103-123.
- Brown, Sarah & Dietrich, Michael & Ortiz-Nuñez, Aurora & Taylor, Karl, 2011. "Self-employment and attitudes towards risk: Timing and unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 425-433, June.
- Bebbington, Anthony, 1999. "Capitals and Capabilities: A Framework for Analyzing Peasant Viability, Rural Livelihoods and Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2021-2044, December.
- Su, Shiliang & Hu, Yi’na & Luo, Fanghan & Mai, Gengchen & Wang, Yaping, 2014. "Farmland fragmentation due to anthropogenic activity in rapidly developing region," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 131(C), pages 87-93.
- Sarin, Rakesh & Wieland, Alice, 2016. "Risk aversion for decisions under uncertainty: Are there gender differences?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 1-8.
- Rahaman, Mohammad M., 2011. "Access to financing and firm growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 709-723, March.
- Han, Linghui & Hare, Denise, 2013. "The link between credit markets and self-employment choice among households in rural China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 52-64.
- Wang, Wen & Li, Qiang & Lien, Donald, 2016. "Human capital, political capital, and off-farm occupational choices in rural China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 412-422.
More about this item
Keywordson-farm transitions; rural household livelihood strategy; capital endowments; labor allocation;
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- O18 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2018-12-17 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-CNA-2018-12-17 (China)
- NEP-LAB-2018-12-17 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2018-12-17 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_7306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cesifde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.