Access to financing and firm growth
Why do some firms grow faster than others? Although various observed and unobserved aspects of firms have been suggested as potential drivers of firm heterogeneity, economists disagree sharply on the role of financial structure in influencing firm growth. In this paper, I use a sample of quoted and unquoted firms to show that the effect of financial structure on firm growth is statistically significant and quantitatively important. In the presence of external financing constraints, firms rely more on internal funds to finance growth, but the effect of internal financing on firm growth decreases with an increase in the firm's access to an external bank credit facility. As the external financing constraint is alleviated, the firm relies less on internal funds and switches to external financing as the primary source of financing for its growth. This pattern of transition between internal and external financing is particularly pronounced in small unquoted firms (conditional on their survival). These results suggest a real effect of financial structure on growth via the channel of an external financing constraint.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2010.
"Firm age and the evolution of borrowing costs: Evidence from Japanese small firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1970-1981, August.
- Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2008. "Firm Age and the Evolution of Borrowing Costs: Evidence from Japanese Small Firms," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 354, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Koji Sakai & Iichiro Uesugi & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2005. "Firm Age and the Evolution of Borrowing Costs: Evidence from Japanese Small Firms," Discussion papers 05026, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Paul & Hughes, Alan, 1994. "Age, Size, Growth and Survival: UK Companies in the 1980s," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 115-40, June.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Scott, Jonathan A. & Dunkelberg, William C., 2010. "Competition for small firm banking business: Bank actions versus market structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2788-2800, November.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Martínez Pería, María Soledad & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2010.
"Bank involvement with SMEs: Beyond relationship lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2280-2293, September.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Schmukler , Sergio L., 2008. "Bank involvement with SMEs : beyond relationship lending," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4649, The World Bank.
- Chittenden, Francis & Hall, Graham & Hutchinson, Patrick, 1996. " Small Firm Growth, Access to Capital Markets and Financial Structure: Review of Issues and an Empirical Investigation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 59-67, February.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- Kaplan, Steven N & Zingales, Luigi, 1997. "Do Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivities Provide Useful Measures of Financing Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 169-215, February.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Amir Sufi, 2009. "Bank Lines of Credit in Corporate Finance: An Empirical Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 1057-1088, March.
- Singh, Ajit & Whittington, Geoffrey, 1975.
"The Size and Growth of Firms,"
51715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hart, Peter E & Oulton, Nicholas, 1996. "Growth and Size of Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1242-52, September.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 1999.
"Financial Markets and Firm Dynamics,"
99-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A, 1992. "Entry, Exit, and Firm Dynamics in Long Run Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1127-50, September.
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010.
"The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009. "The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sean Cleary, 1999. "The Relationship between Firm Investment and Financial Status," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 673-692, 04.
- Huang, Roger D & Kracaw, William A, 1984. " Stock Market Returns and Real Activity: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 267-73, March.
- Knyazeva, Anzhela & Knyazeva, Diana & Stiglitz, Joseph, 2009. "Ownership changes and access to external financing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1804-1816, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1998. "Law, Finance, and Firm Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2107-2137, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:35:y:2011:i:3:p:709-723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.