Task Allocation and Corporate Performance: Is There a First-Mover Advantage?
Although the performance effects of multitasking were analyzed intensively in the past, little is known about the impact of the adoption time of multitasking on corporate performance. Possibly, the quantity of the reorganization is crucial and early movers experience a comparative competitive advantage; but also quality effects could dominate and late adoption is beneficial. The present paper examines the performance effects of the implementation time of teamwork and job rotation using two nationally representative Swiss firm-level datasets. To account for potential endogeneity, two separate two-stage estimation strategies are applied. According to the results, there are slight late-mover disadvantages when implementing teamwork. In contrast, the influence of the adoption of job rotation heavily depends on the observation time, though late adoption is mainly associated with lower performance. These findings indicate that there are both quantity and quality effects, dependent on how established and complex the multitasking instrument is.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Peter-Merian-Weg 6, Postfach, CH-4002 Basel|
Web page: http://wwz.unibas.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2009.
"Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination,"
0116, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Nov 2010.
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes‐Gellner, 2011. "Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 427-447, 08.
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2010. "Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination," Research Papers in Economics 2010-06, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Durand, Rodolphe & Coeurderoy, Regis, 2001. "Age, order of entry, strategic orientation, and organizational performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 471-494, September.
- S. Black & L. Lynch, 1997.
"How to compete: the impact of workplace practices and information technology on productivity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20298, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 2001. "How To Compete: The Impact Of Workplace Practices And Information Technology On Productivity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 434-445, August.
- S Black & L Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0376, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sandra E. Black & Lisa M. Lynch, 1997. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," NBER Working Papers 6120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lisa M Lynch & Sandra E Black, 2002. "How to Compete: The Impact of Workplace Practices and Information Technology on Productivity," Working Papers 02-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Avner Ben-Ner & Stephanie Lluis, . "Learning: What and How? An Empirical Study of Adjustments in Workplace Organization Structure," Working Papers 0407, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Ohnemus, Jörg, 2007. "Does IT Outsourcing Increase Firm Success? An Empirical Assessment using Firm-Level Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-087, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michael Beckmann & Thomas Cornelissen & Bern Schauenberg, 2009.
"Fixed-term employment, work organization and job satisfaction: Evidence from German individual-level data,"
2009/09, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Michael Beckmann & Thomas Cornelissen, 2009. "Fixed-term Employment, Work Organization and Job Satisfaction: Evidence from German Individual-Level Data," Working papers 2009/10, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Lokshin, Michael & Beegle, Kathleen, 2006. "Forgone earnings from smoking : evidence for a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4018, The World Bank.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Astrid A. Dick, 2007. "Entry into Banking Markets and the Early-Mover Advantage," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 775-807, 06.
- Louis A. Thomas, 1996. "Brand Capital and Entry Order," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 107-129, 03.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10093 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas, Louis A, 1995. "Brand Capital and Incumbent Firms' Positions in Evolving Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 522-34, August.
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985.
"Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- JONES, Derek C. & SVEJNAR, Jan, . "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficiency in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers RP 681, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984. "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers 1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Caroli, Eve & Van Reenen, John, 1999.
"Skill biased organizational change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Eve Caroli & John Van Reenen, 2001. "Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence from A Panel of British and French Establishments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1449-1492.
- Renn, Robert W., 1998. "Participation's effect on task performance: Mediating roles of goal acceptance and procedural justice," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 115-125, February.
- Origo, Federica & Pagani, Laura, 2009. "Flexicurity and job satisfaction in Europe: The importance of perceived and actual job stability for well-being at work," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 547-555, October.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2005. "Modes of labor flexibility at firm level: Are there any implications for performance and innovation? Evidence for the Swiss economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 993-1016, December.
- Michael Lokshin & Zurab Sajaia, 2004. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 282-289, September.
- Catherine Truss, 2001. "Complexities and Controversies in Linking HRM with Organizational Outcomes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(8), pages 1121-1149, December.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Frey, Bruno S & Jegen, Reto, 2001. " Motivation Crowding Theory," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 589-611, December.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- William Boulding & Markus Christen, 2003. "Sustainable Pioneering Advantage? Profit Implications of Market Entry Order," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 371-392.
- Wahlberg, Roger, 2008. "The Part-Time Penalty for Natives and Immigrants," Working Papers in Economics 314, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Bailey & Peter Berg & Carola Sandy, 2001. "The Effect of High-Performance Work Practices on Employee Earnings in the Steel, Apparel, and Medical Electronics and Imaging Industries," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(2), pages 525-543, January.
- Yuxin Chen & Jinhong Xie, 2007. "Cross-Market Network Effect with Asymmetric Customer Loyalty: Implications for Competitive Advantage," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 52-66, 01-02.
- John Paul Macduffie, 1995. "Human Resource Bundles and Manufacturing Performance: Organizational Logic and Flexible Production Systems in the World Auto Industry," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(2), pages 197-221, January.
- J. Luis Guasch & Andrew Weiss, 1980. "Adverse Selection by Markets and the Advantage of Being Late," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(3), pages 453-466.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1978. "Unionism and Wage Rates: A Simultaneous Equations Model with Qualitative and Limited Dependent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(2), pages 415-33, June.
- Clint Chadwick, 2007. "Examining Non-Linear Relationships between Human Resource Practices and Manufacturing Performance," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(4), pages 499-521, July.
- April M. Franco & MB Sarkar & Rajshree Agarwal & Raj Echambadi, 2009. "Swift and Smart: The Moderating Effects of Technological Capabilities on the Market Pioneering-Firm Survival Relationship," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(11), pages 1842-1860, November.
- Arega Alene & V. Manyong, 2007. "The effects of education on agricultural productivity under traditional and improved technology in northern Nigeria: an endogenous switching regression analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 141-159, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bsl:wpaper:2012/07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WWZ)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.