Task Allocation and Corporate Performance: Is There a First-Mover Advantage?
Although the performance� effects of multitasking were analyzed intensively in the past, little� is known about the impact of the adoption time of multitasking on corporate performance. Possibly, the quantity of the reorganization is crucial and early movers experience a comparative competitive advantage; but also quality� effects could dominate and late adoption is beneficial. The present paper examines the performance effects of the implementation time of teamwork and job rotation using two nationally representative Swiss firm-level datasets. To account for potential endogeneity, two separate two-stage estimation strategies are applied. According to the results, there are slight late-mover disadvantages when implementing teamwork. In contrast, the influence of the adoption of job rotation heavily depends on the observation time, though late adoption is mainly associated with lower performance. These findings indicate that there are both quantity and quality effects, dependent on how established and complex the multitasking instrument is.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://wwz.unibas.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frey, Bruno S & Jegen, Reto, 2001. " Motivation Crowding Theory," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 589-611, December.
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2010.
"Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination,"
Research Papers in Economics
2010-06, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes‐Gellner, 2011. "Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 427-447, 08.
- Uwe Jirjahn & Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2009. "Works Councils and Learning: On the Dynamic Dimension of Codetermination," Working Papers 0116, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Nov 2010.
- Michael Beckmann & Thomas Cornelissen & Bern Schauenberg, 2009.
"Fixed-term employment, work organization and job satisfaction: Evidence from German individual-level data,"
2009/09, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Michael Beckmann & Thomas Cornelissen, 2009. "Fixed-term Employment, Work Organization and Job Satisfaction: Evidence from German Individual-Level Data," Working papers 2009/10, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Eve Caroli & John Van Reenen, 2001.
"Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence From A Panel Of British And French Establishments,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1449-1492, November.
- Caroli, Eve & Van Reenen, John, 1999. "Skill biased organizational change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9917, CEPREMAP.
- Van Reenen, John & Caroli, Eve, 2001. "Skill-Biased Organizational Change? Evidence from a panel of British and French establishments," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10093, Paris Dauphine University.
- John T. Addison & Clive R. Belfield, 2001. "Updating the Determinants of Firm Performance: Estimation using the 1998 UK Workplace Employee Relations Survey," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 39(3), pages 341-366, 09.
- Zwick, Thomas, 2002. "Continuous Training and Firm Productivity in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-50, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1978. "Unionism and Wage Rates: A Simultaneous Equations Model with Qualitative and Limited Dependent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(2), pages 415-33, June.
- Guasch, J Luis & Weiss, Andrew, 1980. "Adverse Selection by Markets and the Advantage of Being Late," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(3), pages 453-66, May.
- Avner Ben-Ner & Stephanie Lluis, . "Learning: What and How? An Empirical Study of Adjustments in Workplace Organization Structure," Working Papers 0407, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Yuxin Chen & Jinhong Xie, 2007. "Cross-Market Network Effect with Asymmetric Customer Loyalty: Implications for Competitive Advantage," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 52-66, 01-02.
- Thomas, Louis A, 1995. "Brand Capital and Incumbent Firms' Positions in Evolving Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 522-34, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Astrid A. Dick, 2007. "Entry into Banking Markets and the Early-Mover Advantage," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 775-807, 06.
- Clint Chadwick, 2007. "Examining Non-Linear Relationships between Human Resource Practices and Manufacturing Performance," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(4), pages 499-521, July.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Michael Lokshin & Zurab Sajaia, 2004. "Maximum likelihood estimation of endogenous switching regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 282-289, September.
- JONES, Derek C. & SVEJNAR, Jan, .
"Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficiency in Italian producer cooperatives,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-681, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985. "Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984. "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers 1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Durand, Rodolphe & Coeurderoy, Regis, 2001. "Age, order of entry, strategic orientation, and organizational performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 471-494, September.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2005. "Modes of labor flexibility at firm level: Are there any implications for performance and innovation? Evidence for the Swiss economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 993-1016, December.
- Origo, Federica & Pagani, Laura, 2009. "Flexicurity and job satisfaction in Europe: The importance of perceived and actual job stability for well-being at work," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 547-555, October.
- Guasch, J Luis & Weiss, Andrew, 1980. "Erratum: Adverse Selection by Markets and the Advantage of Being Late," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 201, August.
- Catherine Truss, 2001. "Complexities and Controversies in Linking HRM with Organizational Outcomes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(8), pages 1121-1149, December.
- Ohnemus, Jörg, 2007. "Does IT Outsourcing Increase Firm Success? An Empirical Assessment using Firm-Level Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-087, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Louis A. Thomas, 1996. "Brand Capital and Entry Order," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 107-129, 03.
- Lokshin, Michael & Beegle, Kathleen, 2006. "Forgone earnings from smoking : evidence for a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4018, The World Bank.
- April M. Franco & MB Sarkar & Rajshree Agarwal & Raj Echambadi, 2009. "Swift and Smart: The Moderating Effects of Technological Capabilities on the Market Pioneering-Firm Survival Relationship," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(11), pages 1842-1860, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bsl:wpaper:2012/07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WWZ)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.