TFP growth and its determinants: nonparametrics and model averaging
Total Factor Productivity (TFP) accounts for a sizeable proportion of the income and growth differences across countries. Two challenges remain to researchers aiming to explain these differences: on the one hand, TFP growth is hard to measure; on the other hand, model uncertainty hampers consensus on its key determinants. This paper combines a non-parametric measure of TFP growth with model averaging techniques to addess both issues. The empirical findings suggest that the most robust TFP growth determinants are unobserved heterogeneity, initial GDP, consumption share, and trade openness. We also investigate the main determinants of the TFP components: efficiency change (i.e. catching up) and technological progress (i.e. innovation).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004.
"Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," NBER Working Papers 7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 266, OECD Publishing.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2012.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Bayesian Panel Data Approach,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 566-579, May.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2007. "Determinants Of Economic Growth: A Bayesian Panel Data Approach," Working Papers wp2007_0719, CEMFI.
- Moral-Benito, Enrique, 2009. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Bayesian Panel Data Approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4830, The World Bank.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2010. "Determinants of economic growth: A Bayesian panel data approach," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 1031, Banco de Espa�a.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2010.
"Model Averaging In Economics,"
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:1104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.