Contagion among Central and Eastern European stock markets during the financial crisis
This paper contributes to the literature on international stock market comovements and contagion. The novelty of our approach lies in application of wavelet tools to high-frequency financial market data, which allows us to understand the relationship between stock markets in a time-frequency domain. While major part of economic time series analysis is done in time or frequency domain separately, wavelet analysis combines these two fundamental approaches. Wavelet techniques uncover interesting dynamics of correlations between the Central and Eastern European (CEE) stock markets and the German DAX at various investment horizons. The results indicate that connection of the CEE markets to the leading market of the region is significantly lower at higher frequencies in comparison to the lower frequencies. Contrary to previous literature, we document significantly lower contagion between the CEE markets and the German DAX after the large 2008 stock market crash.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Azevedo, Nuno & Soares, Maria Joana, 2008. "Using wavelets to decompose the time–frequency effects of monetary policy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2863-2878.
- Gjika, Dritan & Horváth, Roman, 2013. "Stock market comovements in Central Europe: Evidence from the asymmetric DCC model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 55-64.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994. "Capital inflows to Latin America," MPRA Paper 13406, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jozef Baruník & Evžen Kocenda & Lukáš Vácha, 2015.
"Gold, Oil, and Stocks: Dynamic Correlations,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
5333, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2014.
- Baruník, Jozef & Kočenda, Evžen & Vácha, Lukáš, 2014. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," FinMaP-Working Papers 14, Collaborative EU Project FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents.
- Baele, Lieven, 2005.
"Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 373-401, June.
- L. Baele, 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/189, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baele, L., 2003. "Volatility Spillover Effects in European Equity Markets," Discussion Paper 2003-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Connolly, Robert A. & Stivers, Chris & Sun, Licheng, 2007. "Commonality in the time-variation of stock-stock and stock-bond return comovements," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 192-218, May.
- Lukas Vacha & Jozef Barunik, 2012.
"Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis,"
- Vacha, Lukas & Barunik, Jozef, 2012. "Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 241-247.
- Andrea Beltratti & Claudio Morana, 2006.
"Comovements in International Stock Markets,"
ICER Working Papers
3-2006, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Morana, Claudio & Beltratti, Andrea, 2008. "Comovements in international stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 31-45, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Sara Calvo, 1996.
"Capital Flows to Latin America: Is There Evidence of Contagion Effects?,"
Peterson Institute Press: Chapters,
in: Guillermo A. Calvo & Morris Goldstein & Eduard Hochreiter (ed.), Private Capital Flows to Emerging Markets After the Mexican Crisis, pages 151-171
Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Sara, 1996. "Capital Flows to Latin America: Is There Evidence of Contagion Effects?”," MPRA Paper 7124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Sara & Reinhart, Carmen, 1996. "Capital flows to Latin America : Is there evidence of contagion effects?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1619, The World Bank.
- Baele, Lieven & Inghelbrecht, Koen, 2010. "Time-varying integration, interdependence and contagion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 791-818, September.
- Evzen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2010.
"Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp983, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda, 2011. "Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 170-188, 02.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2009. "Intraday Price Discovery in Emerging European Stock Markets," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp382, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009.
"International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis," Working Papers w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mikko Ranta, 2013. "Contagion among major world markets: a wavelet approach," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 133-149, March.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Balazs Egert & Evzen Kocenda, 2005.
"Contagion Across and Integration of Central and Eastern European Stock Markets: Evidence from Intraday Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp798, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Egert, Balazs & Kocenda, Evzen, 2007. "Interdependence between Eastern and Western European stock markets: Evidence from intraday data," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 184-203, June.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian M. & McManus, Ginette M., 2008. "The dynamics of Central European equity market comovements," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 605-622, August.
- Gallegati, Marco, 2012. "A wavelet-based approach to test for financial market contagion," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3491-3497.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Joana Soares & Nuno Azevedo, 2007. "Using Wavelets to decompose time-frequency economic relations," NIPE Working Papers 17/2007, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1309.0491. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.