Stock Market Comovements in Central Europe: Evidence from Asymmetric DCC Model
We examine time-varying stock market comovements in Central Europe employing the asymmetric dynamic conditional correlation multivariate GARCH model. Using daily data from 2001 to 2011, we find that the correlations among stock markets in Central Europe and between Central Europe vis–à–vis the euro area are strong. They increased over time, especially after the EU entry and remained largely at these levels during financial crisis. The stock markets exhibit asymmetry in the conditional variances and in the conditional correlations, to a certain extent, too, pointing to an importance of applying sufficiently flexible econometric framework. The conditional variances and correlations are positively related suggesting that the diversification benefits decrease disproportionally during volatile periods.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49-(0)941-943 54 10
Fax: +49-(0)941-943 54 27
Web page: http://www.ios-regensburg.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bussiere, M. & Hoerova, M. & Klaus, B., 2012.
"Commonality in hedge fund returns: driving factors and implications,"
373, Banque de France.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Hoerova, Marie & Klaus, Benjamin, 2015. "Commonality in hedge fund returns: Driving factors and implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 266-280.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Hoerova, Marie & Klaus, Benjamin, 2014. "Commonality in hedge fund returns: driving factors and implications," Working Paper Series 1658, European Central Bank.
- Horvath Roman & Poldauf Petr, 2012.
"International Stock Market Comovements: What Happened during the Financial Crisis?,"
Global Economy Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Horvath, Roman & Poldauf, Petr, 2011. "International stock market comovements: what happened during the financial crisis?," MPRA Paper 35317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Dynamic linkages between emerging European and developed stock markets: Has the EMU any impact?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 41-60.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Christos Savva & Nektarios Aslanidis, 2010.
"Stock market integration between new EU member states and the Euro-zone,"
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 337-351, October.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Savva, Christos S., 2008. "Stock market integration between new EU member states and the Euro-zone," Working Papers 2072/13263, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Balazs Egert & Evzen Kocenda, 2005.
"Contagion Across and Integration of Central and Eastern European Stock Markets: Evidence from Intraday Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp798, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Egert, Balazs & Kocenda, Evzen, 2007. "Interdependence between Eastern and Western European stock markets: Evidence from intraday data," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 184-203, June.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2009.
"Intraday Price Discovery in Emerging European Stock Markets,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp382, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Jan Hanousek & Evžen Kočenda, 2011. "Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 170-188, 02.
- Evzen Kocenda & Jan Hanousek, 2010. "Foreign News and Spillovers in Emerging European Stock Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp983, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993.
" Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Voronkova, Svitlana, 2004. "Equity market integration in Central European emerging markets: A cointegration analysis with shifting regimes," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 633-647.
- Maria Kasch-Haroutounian & Simon Price, 2001. "Volatility in the transition markets of Central Europe," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 93-105.
- Horvath, Roman & Petrovski, Dragan, 2013.
"International stock market integration: Central and South Eastern Europe compared,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 81-91.
- Roman Horvath & Dragan Petrovski, 2012. "International Stock Market Integration: Central and South Eastern Europe Compared," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1028, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Roman Horvath & Dragan Petrovski, 2012. "International Stock Market Integration : Central and South Eastern Europe Compared," Working Papers 317, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Ping Wang & Tomoe Moore, 2008. "Stock Market Integration For The Transition Economies: Time-Varying Conditional Correlation Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(s1), pages 116-133, 09.
- Scheicher, Martin, 2001. "The Comovements of Stock Markets in Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 27-39, January.
- Syllignakis, Manolis N. & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2011. "Dynamic correlation analysis of financial contagion: Evidence from the Central and Eastern European markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 717-732, October.
- Claire G.Gilmore & Brian Lucey & Ginette M.McManus, 2005. "The Dynamics of Central European Equity Market Integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp069, IIIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ost:wpaper:322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterina Selezneva)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.