International stock market comovements: what happened during the financial crisis?
We investigate the stock market comovements in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, South Africa, the UK, and the USA, both at the market and sectoral level in 2000-2010. Using multivariate GARCH models, our results suggest that the correlation among equity returns during the financial crisis (2008-2010) somewhat increased suggesting that the crisis represented a common shock to all countries. The U.S. stock market is found to be the most correlated with the stock markets in Brazil, Canada and UK. The correlation of U.S. and Chinese stock market is esentially zero before the crisis; it becomes slightly positive during the crisis. The sectoral indices are less correlated than the market indices over the whole period, but again the correlations increase during the crisis.
|Date of creation:||09 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Theodossiou, Panayiotis & Lee, Unro, 1993.
"Mean and Volatility Spillovers across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-50, Winter.
- Panayiotis Theodossiou & Unro Lee, 1993. "Mean And Volatility Spillovers Across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-350, December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2004. "Transmission of equity returns and volatility in Asian developed and emerging markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 71-80.
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2008. "The Spline-GARCH Model for Low-Frequency Volatility and Its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1187-1222, May.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements," NBER Working Papers 7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Shoham Amir & Pelzman Joseph, 2011. "A Review of the Crises," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-19, July.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Johnson, Robert & Soenen, Luc, 2003. "Economic integration and stock market comovement in the Americas," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 85-100, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.