Modelling Volatility Spillover Effects Between Developed Stock Markets and Asian Emerging Stock Markets
This paper examines the linkages of stock markets across the U.S., Japan and six Asian developing countries: China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand over the period January 1, 1993 to December 31, 2012. The volatility spillover is modeled through an asymmetric multivariate GARCH model. We find significant unidirectional shock and volatility spillovers from the U.S. market to both the Japanese and the Asian emerging markets. It is also found that the volatility spillovers between the U.S. market and the Asian markets are stronger and bidirectional during the Asian financial crisis. Further, during the last five years, the linkages between the Japanese market and the Asian emerging markets became more apparent. Our paper contributes to the literature by examining both the long run and the short run periods and focusing on shock and volatility spillovers rather than return spillovers, which have been the primary focus of most other studies.
|Date of creation:||08 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- Bodurtha, James N, Jr & Mark, Nelson C, 1991. " Testing the CAPM with Time-Varying Risks and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1485-1505, September.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hong Li, 2007. "International linkages of the Chinese stock exchanges: a multivariate GARCH analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 285-297.
- He, Ling T., 2001. "Time variation paths of international transmission of stock volatility -- US vs. Hong Kong and South Korea," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 79-93.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Attanasio, Orazio P, 1991. "Risk, Time-Varying Second Moments and Market Efficiency," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 479-94, May.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Theodossiou, Panayiotis & Lee, Unro, 1993. "Mean and Volatility Spillovers across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-50, Winter.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Andrew Karolyi, G., 1995.
"Good news, band news and international spilovers of stock return volatility between Japan and the U.S,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 144-144, May.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Andrew Karolyi, G., 1994. "Good news, bad news and international spillovers of stock return volatility between Japan and the U.S," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 405-438, December.
- Kroner, Kenneth F & Ng, Victor K, 1998. "Modeling Asymmetric Comovements of Asset Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 817-44.
- Wang, Ping & Liu, Aying & Wang, Peijie, 2004. "Return and risk interactions in Chinese stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 367-383, October.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Andrew Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2004. "Transmission of equity returns and volatility in Asian developed and emerging markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 71-80.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Li, Hong, 2012. "The impact of China's stock market reforms on its international stock market linkages," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 358-368.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicewp:1301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.