Transmission of returns and volatility in art markets: a multivariate GARCH analysis
This study examines the transmission of returns and volatility among eight major art markets. The art indices included in the analysis are Contemporary Masters (CM), 20th Century English (TE), 19th Century European (NE), French Impressionist (FI), Modern European (ME), Modern US Paintings (US), Old Masters (OM) and Surrealists (SR). A multivariate generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity (MGARCH) model is used to identify the source and magnitude of spillovers. The results indicate the presence of large and predominantly positive mean return and volatility spillovers, though the spillovers between art markets are not homogeneous.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ginsburgh, V. & Jeanfils, P., .
"Long-term comovements in international markets for paintings,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1147, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Jeanfils, Philippe, 1995. "Long-term comovements in international markets for paintings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 538-548, April.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Philippe Jeanfils, 1995. "Long-term comovements in international markets for paintings," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1717, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Renato Flôres & Victor Ginsburgh & Philippe Jeanfils, 1999.
"Long- and Short-Term Portfolio Choices of Paintings,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 191-208, August.
- Renato G. Flôres Jr. & Victor Ginsburgh & Philippe Jeanfils, 1999. "Long- and short-term portfolio choices of paintings," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/99275, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on Stock Price Volatility in Emerging Markets," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 321-339, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Kearney, Colm & Patton, Andrew J, 2000. "Multivariate GARCH Modeling of Exchange Rate Volatility Transmission in the European Monetary System," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 29-48, February.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:4:p:217-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.