Market Risk in Demutualised Self-Listed Stock Exchanges: An International Analysis of Selected Time-Varying Betas
This paper examines market risk in four demutualised and self-listed stock exchanges: the Australian Stock Exchange, the Deutsche Börse, the London Stock Exchange and the Singapore Stock Exchange. Daily company and MSCI index returns provide the respective asset and market portfolio data. A bivariate MA-GARCH model is used to estimate time-varying betas for each exchange from listing until 7 June 2005. While the results indicate significant beta volatility, unit root tests show the betas to be mean-reverting. These findings are used to suggest that despite concerns that demutualised and self-listed exchanges entail new market risks that merit regulatory intervention, the betas of the exchange companies have not changed significantly since listing. However, market risk does vary considerable across the exchanges, with mean time-varying betas of 0.56 for the Deutsche Börse, 0.66 for the London Stock Exchange, 0.78 for the Singapore Stock Exchange, and 0.95 for the Australian Stock Exchange. Key words: Accounting scandals, Enron, WorldCom, Event study, International Stock Markets.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2434, BRISBANE QLD 4001|
Web page: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/faculty/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Lee, Unro & Theodossiu, Panayiotis, 1994. "Time-varying betas and volatility persistence in International Stock markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 101-112, May.
- Bos, T & Newbold, P, 1984. "An Empirical Investigation of the Possibility of Stochastic Systematic Risk in the Market Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 35-41, January.
- Robert D. Brooks & Robert W. Faff & Michael D. McKenzie, 1998. "Timeâ€ Varying Beta Risk of Australian Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Modelling Techniques," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 23(1), pages 1-22, June.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996.
"The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1996/292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Charles Engel & Anthony P. Rodrigues, 1987.
"Tests of International CAPM with Time-Varying Covariances,"
NBER Working Papers
2303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles & Rodrigues, Anthony P, 1989. "Tests of International CAPM with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 119-138, April-Jun.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2005. "Time-varying beta and the Asian financial crisis: Evidence from Malaysian and Taiwanese firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 93-118, January.
- Benn Steil, "undated". "Changes in the Ownership and Governance of Securities Exchanges: Causes and Consequences," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-15, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Susmel, Raul & Engle, Robert F., 1994. "Hourly volatility spillovers between international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 3-25, February.
- Pirrong, Craig, 2000. "A Theory of Financial Exchange Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 437-471, October.
- Hall, Stephen G & Miles, David K & Taylor, Mark P, 1989. "Modelling Asset Prices with Time-Varying Betas," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 57(4), pages 340-356, December.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on Stock Price Volatility in Emerging Markets," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 321-339, June.
- K. Giannopoulos, 1995. "Estimating the time Varying Components of international stock markets' risk," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 129-164.
- Gonzalez-Rivera, Gloria, 1996. "Time-varying risk The case of the American computer industry," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 333-342, February.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Francis, Jack Clark, 1978. "Beta as a Random Coefficient," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 101-116, March.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2002. "The Stochastic Structure of the Time-Varying Beta: Evidence from UK Companies," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(6), pages 768-791, December.
- Bodurtha, James N, Jr & Mark, Nelson C, 1991. " Testing the CAPM with Time-Varying Risks and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1485-1505, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:dpaper:201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.