The impact of corporate governance, regulatory differences and futures contracts on movements among portfolios of cross-listed equities: The case of Germany
We test the impact of corporate governance effects on the stock price volatility of the DAX100 and find that these variables increase the volatility and decrease the error terms statistically significant. In addition, controlling for contemporaneous and next period's movements, we find that shocks can have a significant impact on the magnitude of stock return co-movements. In particular, our results show that the impact of the German mark/Euro and German bond price index futures shocks have a significant effect on spillovers, on contemporaneous and next period's co-movements related to firms or equities that cross-list on markets with different creditor bankruptcy protection rules. On the other hand, the impact of the German mark/Euro and the German stock price index shocks related to different shareholder protection rules have a smaller impact on both the next period's co-movements and contemporaneous co-movements among or between markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian M. & McManus, Ginette M., 2008. "The dynamics of Central European equity market comovements," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 605-622, August.
- G. Andrew Karoly & Rene Stulz, .
"Why do Markets Move Together? An Investigation of U.S.-Japan Stock Return Comovements,"
Research in Financial Economics
9603, Ohio State University.
- Karolyi, G Andrew & Stulz, Rene M, 1996. " Why Do Markets Move Together? An Investigation of U.S.-Japan Stock Return Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 951-86, July.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2005.
"'Some contagion, some interdependence': More pitfalls in tests of financial contagion,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1177-1199, December.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2002. "Some Contagion, Some Interdependence: More Pitfalls in Tests of Financial Contagion," CEPR Discussion Papers 3310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Joshua D. Coval, 2001. "Expected Option Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 983-1009, 06.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Kearney, Colm & Poti, Valerio, 2006.
"Correlation dynamics in European equity markets,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 305-321, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Gurdip Bakshi & Nikunj Kapadia, 2003. "Delta-Hedged Gains and the Negative Market Volatility Risk Premium," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 527-566.
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Alaganar, Vaira T. & Bhar, Ramaprasad, 2002. "Information and volatility linkage under external shocks: Evidence from dually listed Australian stocks," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 59-71.
- Mervyn A. King & Sushil Wadhwani, 1989.
"Transmission of Volatility Between Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore & Roumpis, Efthimios, 2009. "Dynamic correlations and volatility effects in the Balkan equity markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 565-587, October.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Hsin, Chin-Wen, 2004. "A multilateral approach to examining the comovements among major world equity markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 433-462.
- Theodossiou, Panayiotis & Lee, Unro, 1993. "Mean and Volatility Spillovers across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-50, Winter.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Susmel, Raul & Engle, Robert F., 1994. "Hourly volatility spillovers between international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 3-25, February.
- Andreas Bermig, 2011. "A Comprehensive Data Set on German Supervisory Boards," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 131(1), pages 195-205.
- Connolly, Robert A. & Stivers, Chris & Sun, Licheng, 2007. "Commonality in the time-variation of stock-stock and stock-bond return comovements," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 192-218, May.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Poshakwale, Sunil S. & Aquino, Katty Pérez, 2008. "The dynamics of volatility transmission and information flow between ADRs and their underlying stocks," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 187-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:23:y:2013:i:1:p:34-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.