Locally stationary long memory estimation
There exists a wide literature on parametrically or semi-parametrically modelling strongly dependent time series using a long-memory parameter d, including more recent work on wavelet estimation. As a generalization of these latter approaches, in this work we allow the long-memory parameter d to be varying over time. We adopt a semi-parametric approach in order to avoid fitting a time-varying parametric model, such as tvARFIMA, to the observed data. We study the asymptotic behavior of a local log-regression wavelet estimator of the time-dependent d. Both simulations and a real data example complete our work on providing a fairly general approach.
Volume (Year): 121 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz & Theofanis Sapatinas & Suhasini Subba Rao, 2008. "Normalized least-squares estimation in time-varying ARCH models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25187, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Roueff, François & Taqqu, Murad S., 2009. "Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 159-177, August.
- F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2009. "Asymptotic normality of wavelet estimators of the memory parameter for linear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 534-558, 09.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004.
"A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-2, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer, 2009. "Local inference for locally stationary time series based on the empirical spectral measure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 101-112, August.
- E. Moulines & F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2007. "On the Spectral Density of the Wavelet Coefficients of Long-Memory Time Series with Application to the Log-Regression Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 155-187, 03.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer & Neumann, Michael H., 2001. "Locally adaptive fitting of semiparametric models to nonstationary time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 277-308, February.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Dahlhaus, R., 1996. "On the Kullback-Leibler information divergence of locally stationary processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 139-168, March.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Changes of structure in financial time series and the GARCH model," Econometrics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Roueff, F. & Taqqu, M.S., 2009. "Central limit theorems for arrays of decimated linear processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(9), pages 3006-3041, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:121:y:2011:i:4:p:813-844. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.