Locally stationary long memory estimation
There exists a wide literature on parametrically or semi-parametrically modelling strongly dependent time series using a long-memory parameter d, including more recent work on wavelet estimation. As a generalization of these latter approaches, in this work we allow the long-memory parameter d to be varying over time. We adopt a semi-parametric approach in order to avoid fitting a time-varying parametric model, such as tvARFIMA, to the observed data. We study the asymptotic behavior of a local log-regression wavelet estimator of the time-dependent d. Both simulations and a real data example complete our work on providing a fairly general approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 121 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004.
"A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices,"
Economics Working Papers
2004-2, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer & Neumann, Michael H., 2001. "Locally adaptive fitting of semiparametric models to nonstationary time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 277-308, February.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer, 2009. "Local inference for locally stationary time series based on the empirical spectral measure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 101-112, August.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2009. "Asymptotic normality of wavelet estimators of the memory parameter for linear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 534-558, 09.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz & Theofanis Sapatinas & Suhasini Subba Rao, 2008. "Normalized least-squares estimation in time-varying ARCH models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25187, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- E. Moulines & F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2007. "On the Spectral Density of the Wavelet Coefficients of Long-Memory Time Series with Application to the Log-Regression Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 155-187, 03.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Roueff, François & Taqqu, Murad S., 2009. "Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 159-177, August.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Changes of structure in financial time series and the GARCH model," Econometrics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Dahlhaus, R., 1996. "On the Kullback-Leibler information divergence of locally stationary processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 139-168, March.
- Roueff, F. & Taqqu, M.S., 2009. "Central limit theorems for arrays of decimated linear processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(9), pages 3006-3041, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:121:y:2011:i:4:p:813-844. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.