Co-movement of energy commodities revisited: Evidence from wavelet coherence analysis
In this paper, we contribute to the literature on energy market co-movement by studying its dynamics in the time-frequency domain. The novelty of our approach lies in the application of wavelet tools to commodity market data. A major part of economic time series analysis is done in the time or frequency domain separately. Wavelet analysis combines these two fundamental approaches allowing study of the time series in the time-frequency domain. Using this framework, we propose a new, model-free way of estimating time-varying correlations. In the empirical analysis, we connect our approach to the dynamic conditional correlation approach of Engle (2002) on the main components of the energy sector. Namely, we use crude oil, gasoline, heating oil, and natural gas on a nearest-future basis over a period of approximately 16 and 1/2years beginning on November 1, 1993 and ending on July 21, 2010. Using wavelet coherence, we uncover interesting dynamics of correlations between energy commodities in the time-frequency space.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naccache, Théo, 2011. "Oil price cycles and wavelets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 338-352, March.
- Lanza, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo & McAleer, Michael, 2006.
"Modeling dynamic conditional correlations in WTI oil forward and futures returns,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 114-132, June.
- Matteo Manera & Alessandro Lanza & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Modelling Dynamic Conditional Correlations in WTI Oil Forward and Futures Returns," Working Papers 2004.72, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ghoshray, Atanu & Johnson, Ben, 2010. "Trends in world energy prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1147-1156, September.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis," Working Papers w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Azevedo, Nuno & Soares, Maria Joana, 2008. "Using wavelets to decompose the time–frequency effects of monetary policy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2863-2878.
- Martina, Esteban & Rodriguez, Eduardo & Escarela-Perez, Rafael & Alvarez-Ramirez, Jose, 2011. "Multiscale entropy analysis of crude oil price dynamics," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 936-947, September.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Connor Jeff & Rossiter Rosemary, 2005. "Wavelet Transforms and Commodity Prices," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-22, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:1:p:241-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.