Optimal quality choice under uncertainty on market development
This paper analyzes the impact of risk and ambiguity aversion - Knightian uncertainty - on the choice of optimal quality and timing of market entry in the agri-food sector. Irreversibility of the investment in product development is introduced in a continuous-time stochastic model applying the real option literature. We consider a market characterized by a duopoly with a Stackelberg-Nash game for quality choice. When the follower provides a higher- quality good, the level of quality is decreasing in ambiguity aversion while it is a non-monotonic function of the level of risk. For low levels of risk, the increase of product quality is an efficient response. Up to certain threshold level of risk, risk and ambiguity aversion reduce the optimal quality level and increase the value of waiting when the follower supplies a higher-quality good. The implication is that risk and ambiguity aversion allow the leader to make a sustainable monopoly pro t. When the follower supplies a lower-quality good, there is no value for it to wait. It should therefore provide the lowest-quality good possible. In a vertically integrated supply chain rms provide higher quality, and the di¤erence between vertically integrated and non-integrated rms is increasing in risk and ambiguity aversion.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://servsas.fsaa.ulaval.ca/index.php?id=12482&L=1|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörg Stoye, 2012. "New Perspectives on Statistical Decisions Under Ambiguity," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 257-282, 07.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Luciano De Castro, 2011. "Ambiguity Aversion and Absence of Trade," Discussion Papers 1535, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Michele Moretto, 2007.
"Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0058, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Moretto, Michele, 2008. "Competition and irreversible investments under uncertainty," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Michele Moretto, 2003. "Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty," Working Papers 2003.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luciano Castro & Alain Chateauneuf, 2011.
"Ambiguity aversion and trade,"
Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 243-273, October.
- Aoki, Reiko & Prusa, Thomas J., 1997. "Sequential versus simultaneous choice with endogenous quality," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 103-121, February.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2007.
"Risk, Uncertainty, and Option Exercise,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2007-016, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2004. "Risk, Uncertainty, and Option Exercise," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-136, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2010. "Risk, uncertainty,and option exercise," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-029, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jianjun Miao, 2004. "Risk, uncertainty and option exercise," Finance 0410013, EconWPA.
- Dennis W. Carlton & James D. Dana, 2008. "PRODUCT VARIETY AND DEMAND UNCERTAINTY: WHY MARKUPS VARY WITH QUALITY -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 535-552, 09.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Lambert, Remy, 2010. "The Simple Economics of Hog Marketing Reforms in Quebec," Working Papers 102014, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Griffith, Rachel & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2005.
"Vertical Integration and Technology: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Rachel Griffith & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2010. "Vertical Integration and Technology: Theory and Evidence," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 989-1033, 09.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Griffith, Rachel & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2010. "Vertical Integration and Technology: Theory and Evidence," Scholarly Articles 4554219, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Rachel Griffith & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2004. "Vertical integration and technology: theory and evidence," IFS Working Papers W04/34, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Rachel Griffith & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2007. "Vertical Integration and Technology: Theory and Evidence," IEW - Working Papers 342, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Rachel Griffith & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2004. "Vertical Integration and Technology: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1999.
"Quality choice and vertical integration,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 903-914, August.
- Rocco Huang, 2005.
"Tolerance For Uncertainty and the Growth of Informationally Opaque Industries,"
- Huang, Rocco R., 2008. "Tolerance for uncertainty and the growth of informationally opaque industries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 333-353, October.
- Grzegorz Pawlina & Peter M. Kort, 2010. "Strategic Quality Choice Under Uncertainty: A Real Options Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(1), pages 1-19, 01.
- Asano, Takao & Shibata, Akihisa, 2011. "Optimal pricing and quality choice of a monopolist under Knightian uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 746-754.
- Nishimura, Kiyohiko G. & Ozaki, Hiroyuki, 2007. "Irreversible investment and Knightian uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 668-694, September.
- Sheldon Ian M & Roe Brian E, 2009. "Public vs. Private Eco-Labeling of Environmental Credence Goods: Maximizing the Gains from International Integration," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-29, December.
- Fabian Berg�s & Zohra Bouamra-Mechemache, 2012.
"Is producing a private label counterproductive for a branded manufacturer?,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(2), pages 213-239, April.
- Bergès, Fabian & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra, 2009. "Is Producing a Private Label Counterproductive for a Branded Manufacturer?," TSE Working Papers 09-130, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Kyle W. Stiegert & Shinn-Shyr Wang & Richard T. Rogers, 2009. "Structural change and market power in the U.S. food manufacturing sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 164-180.
- Zengwu Wang, 2010. "Irreversible Investment of the Risk- and Uncertainty-averse DM under k-Ignorance: The Role of BSDE," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 11(2), pages 313-335, November.
- Pascal L. Ghazalian, 2012. "Home Bias in Primary Agricultural and Processed Food Trade: Assessing the Effects of National Degree of Uncertainty Aversion," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 265-290, 06.
- Chevalier-Roignant, Benoît & Flath, Christoph M. & Huchzermeier, Arnd & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 2011. "Strategic investment under uncertainty: A synthesis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 639-650, December.
- Sadanand, Asha & Sadanand, Venkatraman, 1996. "Firm Scale and the Endogenous Timing of Entry: a Choice between Commitment and Flexibility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 516-530, August.
- Gilboa,Itzhak, 2009.
"Theory of Decision under Uncertainty,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521517324, 1.
- Helen Weeds, 2002. "Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Kyle Handley & Nuno Limão, 2012.
"Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
17790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Handley, Kyle & Limão, Nuno, 2012. "Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 8798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karantininis, Kostas & Sauer, Johannes & Furtan, William Hartley, 2010. "Innovation and integration in the agri-food industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 112-120, April.
- Nathalie Lavoie, 2005. "Price Discrimination in the Context of Vertical Differentiation: An Application to Canadian Wheat Exports," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 835-854.
- Enrico Pennings, .
"Optimal pricing and quality choice when investment in quality is irreversible,"
206, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Enrico Pennings, 2004. "Optimal Pricing And Quality Choice When Investment In Quality Is Irreversible," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 569-589, December.
- Engle Warnick James C. & Escobal Javier & Laszlo Sonia C., 2011. "Ambiguity Aversion and Portfolio Choice in Small-Scale Peruvian Farming," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-56, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:spaawp:148589. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.