Demand uncertainty, product differentiation, and entry timing under spatial competition
We investigate the entry timing and location decisions under market-size uncertainty with Brownian motions in a continuous-time spatial competition duopoly model a la d’Aspremont et al. (1979). Under a sequential equilibrium, the threshold of the follower non-monotonically increases in volatility, which is in stark contrast to the extant results in the real options literature. Also, although the follower's entry timing tends to be late as the volatility becomes amplified, the leader is more likely to increase the degree of product differentiation as the volatility gets higher. Finally, we compare the equilibrium entry decisions with the second-best ones.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047|
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hwang, M. & Bronnenberg, B.J. & Thomadsen, R., 2010. "An empirical analysis of assortment similarities across U.S. supermarkets," Other publications TiSEM adc990b3-1d5b-4fab-8679-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kuno J.M. Huisman & Peter M. Kort, 2015.
"Strategic capacity investment under uncertainty,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 46(2), pages 376-408, June.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2013. "Strategic Capacity Investment Under uncertainty," Discussion Paper 2013-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- James W. Friedman & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1993. "Partial Collusion Fosters Minimum Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 631-645, Winter.
- FRIEDMAN, James W. & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "Partial collusion fosters minimum product differentiation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1070, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giacomo Bonanno, 1987. "Location Choice, Product Proliferation and Entry Deterrence," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 37-45.
- Bart J. Bronnenberg & Vijay Mahajan, 2001. "Unobserved Retailer Behavior in Multimarket Data: Joint Spatial Dependence in Market Shares and Promotion Variables," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 284-299, October.
- Hyunho Kim & Konstantinos Serfes, 2006. "A LOCATION MODEL WITH PREFERENCE FOR VARIETY -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 569-595, December.
- Ebina, Takeshi & Matsushima, Noriaki & Shimizu, Daisuke, 2015. "Product differentiation and entry timing in a continuous time spatial competition model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 247(3), pages 904-913.
- Takeshi Ebina & Noriaki Matsushima & Daisuke Shimizu, 2014. "Product differentiation and entry timing in a continuous time spatial competition model," ISER Discussion Paper 0915, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Kathleen Cleeren & Frank Verboven & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Katrijn Gielens, 2010. "Intra- and Interformat Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 456-473, 05-06.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Gielens, Katrijn & Verboven, Frank, 2008. "Intra- and Inter-Format Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," CEPR Discussion Papers 6964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raphael Thomadsen, 2007. "Product Positioning and Competition: The Role of Location in the Fast Food Industry," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(6), pages 792-804, 11-12.
- Grzegorz Pawlina & Peter M. Kort, 2006. "Real Options in an Asymmetric Duopoly: Who Benefits from Your Competitive Disadvantage?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-35, 03.
- Pawlina, G. & Kort, P.M., 2001. "Real Options in an Aymmetric Duopoly : Who Benefits from your Competitive Disadvantage," Discussion Paper 2001-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Helen Weeds, 2002. "Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Meagher, Kieron J. & Zauner, Klaus G., 2004. "Product differentiation and location decisions under demand uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 201-216, August.
- Neven, Damien J., 1987. "Endogenous sequential entry in a spatial model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 419-434.
- Grenadier, Steven R, 1996. " The Strategic Exercise of Options: Development Cascades and Overbuilding in Real Estate Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1653-1679, December.
- Mason, Robin & Weeds, Helen, 2010. "Investment, uncertainty and pre-emption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 278-287, May.
- Minha Hwang & Bart J. Bronnenberg & Raphael Thomadsen, 2010. "An Empirical Analysis of Assortment Similarities Across U.S. Supermarkets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 858-879, 09-10.
- Chevalier-Roignant, Benoît & Flath, Christoph M. & Huchzermeier, Arnd & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 2011. "Strategic investment under uncertainty: A synthesis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 639-650, December.
- Lages, Luis Filipe & Fernandes, Joana Cosme, 2005. "The SERPVAL scale: a multi-item instrument for measuring service personal values," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(11), pages 1562-1572, November.
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1995. "Asymmetric equilibria in spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-227.
- Tabuchi, T. & Thisse, J.-F., "undated". "Asymetric equilibria in spatial competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1151, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nielsen, Martin J., 2002. "Competition and irreversible investments," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 731-743, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:1007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.