Symmetric equilibrium strategies in game theoretic real option models
This paper considers the problem of investment timing under uncertainty in a duopoly framework. When both firms want to be the first investor a coordination problem arises. Here, a method is proposed to deal with this coordination problem, involving the use of symmetric mixed strategies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 48 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, December.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Thomas Mariotti & Michel Moreaux, 2001.
"Real Options, Preemption, and the Dynamics of Industry Investments,"
Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM
20-10, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Thomas Mariotti & Michel Moreaux, 2001. "Real Options, Preemption, and the Dynamics of Industry Investments," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-64, CIRANO.
- Thijssen, J.J.J. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2001. "Strategic Investment Under Uncertainty and Information Spillovers," Discussion Paper 2001-91, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan-Henrik Steg, 2012. "Irreversible investment in oligopoly," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 207-224, April.
- Steg, Jan-Henrik, 2011. "Irreversible investment in oligopoly," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 415, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Lach, Saul & Rustichini, Aldo, 1995. "Better Late Than Early: Vertical Differentiation in the Adoption of a New Technology," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 563-589, Winter.
- Prajit K. Dutta & Saul Lach & Aldo Rustichini, 1993. "Better Late Than Early: Vertical Differentiation in the Adoption of a New Technology," NBER Working Papers 4473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helen Weeds, 2002. "Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1999. "Effects of Strategic Interactions on the Option Value of Waiting," Discussion Paper 1999-92, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:fth:tilbur:9992 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thijssen, Jacco J.J., 2010. "Preemption in a real option game with a first mover advantage and player-specific uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(6), pages 2448-2462, November.
- Boyer, Marcel & Lasserre, Pierre & Mariotti, Thomas & Moreaux, Michel, 2004. "Preemption and rent dissipation under price competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 309-328, March.
- Mason, Robin & Weeds, Helen, 2010. "Investment, uncertainty and pre-emption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 278-287, May.
- Baldursson, Fridrik M., 1998. "Irreversible investment under uncertainty in oligopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 627-644, April.
- Kandori, Michihiro & Mailath, George J & Rob, Rafael, 1993. "Learning, Mutation, and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 29-56, January.
- Kandori, M. & Mailath, G.J., 1991. "Learning, Mutation, And Long Run Equilibria In Games," Papers 71, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - John M. Olin Program.
- M. Kandori & G. Mailath & R. Rob, 1999. "Learning, Mutation and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Levine's Working Paper Archive 500, David K. Levine.
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Hendricks, Ken & Weiss, Andrew & Wilson, Charles A, 1988. "The War of Attrition in Continuous Time with Complete Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 663-680, November.
- Hendricks, Kenneth & Weiss, Andrew & Wilson, Charles, 1987. "The War of Attrition in Continuous Time with Complete Information," Working Papers 87-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Leo K. Simon., 1987. "A Multistage Duel in Continuous Time," Economics Working Papers 8757, University of California at Berkeley.
- Simon, Leo K., 1987. "A Multistage Duel in Continuous Time," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7186g3c4, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Jacco Thijssen, 2010. "Irreversible investment and discounting: an arbitrage pricing approach," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 295-315, July.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474, June.
- Luis Alvarez & Teppo Rakkolainen, 2010. "Investment timing in presence of downside risk: a certainty equivalent characterization," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 317-333, July.
- Kerry Back & Dirk Paulsen, 2009. "Open-Loop Equilibria and Perfect Competition in Option Exercise Games," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4531-4552, November.
- Grzegorz Pawlina & Peter M. Kort, 2010. "Strategic Quality Choice Under Uncertainty: A Real Options Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(1), pages 1-19, 01.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Preemption and Rent Equalization in the Adoption of New Technology," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 383-401.
- Grzegorz Pawlina & Peter M. Kort, 2006. "Real Options in an Asymmetric Duopoly: Who Benefits from Your Competitive Disadvantage?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-35, 03.
- Pawlina, G. & Kort, P.M., 2001. "Real Options in an Aymmetric Duopoly : Who Benefits from your Competitive Disadvantage," Discussion Paper 2001-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Thijssen, J.J.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2001. "Investment Under Vanishing Uncertainty Due to Information Arriving Over Time," Discussion Paper 2001-14, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Grenadier, Steven R, 1996. " The Strategic Exercise of Options: Development Cascades and Overbuilding in Real Estate Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1653-1679, December.
- Nielsen, Martin J., 2002. "Competition and irreversible investments," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 731-743, May.
- John V. Leahy, 1993. "Investment in Competitive Equilibrium: The Optimality of Myopic Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1105-1133.
- Boyarchenko, Svetlana & Levendorskii, Sergei, 2010. "Optimal stopping in Levy models, for non-monotone discontinuous payoffs," MPRA Paper 27999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dutta Prajit K. & Rustichini Aldo, 1995. "(s, S) Equilibria in Stochastic Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-39, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:48:y:2012:i:4:p:219-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.