Diversification, Climate Risk and Vulnerability to Poverty: Evidence from Rural Malawi
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Canagarajah, S. & Newman, C. & Bhattamishra, R., 2001. "Non-farm income, gender, and inequality: evidence from rural Ghana and Uganda," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 405-420, August.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Luc J. Christiaensen & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005.
"Towards an Understanding of Household Vulnerability in Rural Kenya,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(4), pages 520-558, December.
- Christiaensen, Luc. J. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2004. "Toward an understanding of household vulnerability in rural Kenya," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3326, The World Bank.
- Asfaw, Solomon & McCarthy, Nancy & Lipper, Leslie & Arslan, Aslihan & Cattaneo, Andrea & Kachulu, Mutie, 2014.
"Climate variability, adaptation strategies and food security in Malawi,"
ESA Working Papers
288980, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Asfaw, Solomon & McCarthy, Nancy & Lipper, Leslie & Arslan, Aslihan & Cattaneo, Andrea & Kachulu, Mutie, 2015. "Climate variability, adaptation strategies and food security in Malawi," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 210961, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tchale, Hardwick, 2009. "The efficiency of smallholder agriculture in Malawi," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(2), pages 1-21, September.
- Nhemachena, Charles & Hassan, Rashid M., 2007. "Micro-level analysis of farmers' adaptation to climate change in Southern Africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 714, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Using evidence of household income diversification to inform study of the rural nonfarm labor market in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 735-747, May.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:461444 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lenis Saweda O. Liverpool‐Tasie & Alex Winter‐Nelson, 2011. "Asset versus consumption poverty and poverty dynamics in rural Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 221-233, March.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302, May.
- Davis, Benjamin & Winters, Paul & Carletto, Gero & Covarrubias, Katia & Quiñones, Esteban J. & Zezza, Alberto & Stamoulis, Kostas & Azzarri, Carlo & DiGiuseppe, Stefania, 2010. "A Cross-Country Comparison of Rural Income Generating Activities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Binswanger, Hans P, 1993.
"Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 56-78, January.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1989. "Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments," Bulletins 7455, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1992. "Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1055, The World Bank.
- Cavatassi, Romina & Lipper, Leslie & Winters, Paul, 2012. "Sowing the seeds of social relations: social capital and agricultural diversity in Hararghe Ethiopia," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(5), pages 547-578, October.
- Jikun Huang & Yunhua Wu & Scott Rozelle, 2009. "Moving off the farm and intensifying agricultural production in Shandong: a case study of rural labor market linkages in China," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 203-218, March.
- Stefan Dercon, 2002.
"Income Risk, Coping Strategies, and Safety Nets,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 141-166, September.
- Stefan Dercon, 2000. "Income risk, coping strategies and safety nets," CSAE Working Paper Series 2000-26, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Stefan Dercon, 2002. "Income Risk, Coping Strategies and Safety Nets," WIDER Working Paper Series DP2002-22, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2005.
"Cities and Specialisation: Evidence from South Asia,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 477-504, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2003. "Cities and Specialization: Evidence from South Asia," Economics Series Working Papers 139, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stein Holden & Rodney Lunduka, 2012. "Do fertilizer subsidies crowd out organic manures? The case of Malawi," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 303-314, May.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2003.
"The spatial division of labour in Nepal,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 23-66.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2000. "The Spatial Division of Labor in Nepal," Economics Series Working Papers 44, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2002. "The spatial division of labor in Nepal," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2845, The World Bank.
- Block, S. & Webb, P., 2001. "The dynamics of livelihood diversification in post-famine Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 333-350, August.
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Lisa Pfeiffer & Alejandro López‐Feldman & J. Edward Taylor, 2009. "Is off‐farm income reforming the farm? Evidence from Mexico," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 125-138, March.
- Peter Little & M. Priscilla Stone & Tewodaj Mogues & A. Peter Castro & Workneh Negatu, 2006. "'Moving in place': Drought and poverty dynamics in South Wollo, Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 200-225.
- Durevall, Dick. & Mussa, Richard., 2010. "Employment diagnostic analysis : Malawi," ILO Working Papers 994614443402676, International Labour Organization.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Holden, Stein & Shiferaw, Bekele, 2004. "Land degradation, drought and food security in a less-favoured area in the Ethiopian highlands: a bio-economic model with market imperfections," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 31-49, January.
- Lay, Jann & Mahmoud, Toman Omar & M'Mukaria, George Michuki, 2008. "Few Opportunities, Much Desperation: The Dichotomy of Non-Agricultural Activities and Inequality in Western Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2713-2732, December.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- A. Wondemu Kifle, 2016. "Working Paper 237 - Decomposing Sources of Productivity Change in Small-Scale Farming in Ethiopia," Working Paper Series 2332, African Development Bank.
- Asfaw, Solomon & Palma, Alessandro & Lipper, Leslie, 2016. "Diversification Strategies and Adaptation Deficit: Evidence from Niger," 2016 Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 246282, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Asfaw, S., 2018. "Market Participation, Weather Shocks and Welfare: Evidence from Malawi," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277029, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
More about this item
KeywordsEnvironmental Economics and Policy; International Development;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2016-05-08 (Africa)
- NEP-DEV-2016-05-08 (Development)
- NEP-ENV-2016-05-08 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2016-05-08 (Post Keynesian Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae15:230216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iaaeeea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.