The spatial division of labor in Nepal
the authors examine how economic activity and market participation are distributed across space. Applying a nonparametric von Thunen model to Nepalese data, the authors uncover a strong spatial divisionof labor. Nonfarm employment is concentrated in and around cities, while agricultural wage employment dominates villages located further away. Vegetables are produced near urban centers. Paddy and commercial crops are more important at intermediate distances. Isolated villages revert to self-subsistence. The findings of the study are consistent with the von Thunen model of concentric specialization, corrected to account for city size. Spatial division of labor is closely related to factor endowments and household characteristics, especially at the local level.
|Date of creation:||31 May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Savadogo, Kimseyinga & Brandt, Jon A., 1988. "Household food demand in Burkina Faso: Implications for food policy," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 345-364, December.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," NBER Working Papers 4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Minten, Bart & Kyle, Steven, 1999. "The effect of distance and road quality on food collection, marketing margins, and traders' wages: evidence from the former Zaire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 467-495, December.
- J.V. Henderson, 1972.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
75, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, .
"The Productivity of Nations,"
96012, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Chomitz, Kenneth M & Gray, David A, 1996. "Roads, Land Use, and Deforestation: A Spatial Model Applied to Belize," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(3), pages 487-512, September.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Yang, Dennis Tao, 1997.
"Education and Off-Farm Work,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 613-32, April.
- Desmet, Klaus, 2000. "A perfect foresight model of regional development and skill specialization," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 221-242, March.
- Jacoby, Hanan C, 2000.
"Access to Markets and the Benefits of Rural Roads,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 713-37, July.
- Savadogo, Kimseyinga & Brandt, Jon A., 1988. "Household Food Demand in Burkina Faso: Implications for Food Policy," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(4), December.
- Abdel-Rahman, H. M., 1988. "Product differentiation, monopolistic competition and city size," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 69-86, February.
- Venables, Anthony J. & Limao, Nuno, 2002.
"Geographical disadvantage: a Heckscher-Ohlin-von Thunen model of international specialisation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 239-263, December.
- Venables, Anthony J. & Limao, Nuno, 1999. "Geographical disadvantage - a Heckscher-Ohlin-von Thunen model of international specialization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2256, The World Bank.
- Limão, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J, 1999. "Geographical Disadvantage: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Von Thunen model of International Specialization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2305, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rauch James E., 1993.
"Productivity Gains from Geographic Concentration of Human Capital: Evidence from the Cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 380-400, November.
- James E. Rauch, 1991. "Productivity Gains From Geographic Concentration of human Capital: Evidence From the Cities," NBER Working Papers 3905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Paul A. Dorosh, 1996. "Farmers' Welfare and Changing Food Prices: Nonparametric Evidence from Rice in Madagascar," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 656-669.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991.
"Convergence across States and Regions,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Using evidence of household income diversification to inform study of the rural nonfarm labor market in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 735-747, May.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 427-448, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:2845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.