Technical efficiency and technology gaps in beef cattle production systems in Kenya: A stochastic metafrontier analysis
In this study the stochastic metafrontier method is used to investigate technical efficiency and technology gaps across three main beef cattle production systems in Kenya. Results show that there is significant inefficiency in nomadic and agro-pastoral systems. Further, in contrast with ranches, these two systems were found to have lower technology gap ratios. The average pooled technical efficiency was estimated to be 0.69, which suggests that there is considerable scope to improve beef production in Kenya
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Awudu Abdulai & Hendrik Tietje, 2007. "Estimating technical efficiency under unobserved heterogeneity with stochastic frontier models: application to northern German dairy farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(3), pages 393-416, September.
- Rakipova, Anna N. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Franke, Donald E., 2003. "Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Louisiana Beef Cattle Production," Journal of the ASFMRA, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
- P. Irungu & J. M. Omiti & L. G. Mugunieri, 2006. "Determinants of farmers' preference for alternative animal health service providers in Kenya: a proportional hazard application," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 11-17, 07.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Muyanga, Milu & Jayne, Thom S., 2006.
"Agricultural Extension in Kenya: Practice and Policy Lessons,"
202617, Egerton University, Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development.
- Muyanga, Milu & Jayne, Thomas S., 2006. "Agricultural Extension in Kenya: Practice and Policy Lessons," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55168, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1994.
"Identification of Factors which Influence the Technical Inefficiency of Indian Farmers,"
1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand
148110, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1996. "Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(02), August.
- Tim J. Coelli & George E. Battese, 1996. "Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(2), pages 103-128, 08.
- Luis Orea & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Efficiency measurement using a latent class stochastic frontier model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 169-183, January.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001.
"Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients,"
DEOS Working Papers
130, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2002. "Stochastic frontier models with random coefficients," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 127-147.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients," Athens University of Economics and Business 130, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- MacDonald, James M. & Perry, Janet E. & Ahearn, Mary Clare & Banker, David E. & Chambers, William & Dimitri, Carolyn & Key, Nigel D. & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Southard, Leland W., 2004. "Contracts, Markets, and Prices: Organizing the Production and Use of Agricultural Commodities," Agricultural Economics Reports 34013, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Yanyan Liu & Robert Myers, 2009. "Model selection in stochastic frontier analysis with an application to maize production in Kenya," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 33-46, February.
- David Hadley, 2006. "Patterns in Technical Efficiency and Technical Change at the Farm-level in England and Wales, 1982-2002," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 81-100, 03.
- Carol Newman & Alan Matthews, 2006. "The productivity performance of Irish dairy farms 1984–2000: a multiple output distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 191-205, October.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Zhuo Chen & Shunfeng Song, 2006.
"Efficiency and Technology Gap in China's Agriculture: A Regional META-Frontier Analysis,"
06-005, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Chen, Zhuo & Song, Shunfeng, 2008. "Efficiency and technology gap in China's agriculture: A regional meta-frontier analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 287-296, June.
- William Greene, 2002.
"Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models,"
02-16, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Willam Greene, 2005. "Fixed and Random Effects in Stochastic Frontier Models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 7-32, 01.
- Andrew Barnes, 2008. "Technical Efficiency Estimates of Scottish Agriculture: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 370-376, 06.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1970. "Agricultural Productivity Differences Among Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 895-911, December.
- Xiaobing Wang & Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon, 2010. "Agricultural efficiency, technical change and productivity in China," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 207-227.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Huang, Yi-Ju & Chen, Ku-Hsieh & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2010. "Cost efficiency and optimal scale of electricity distribution firms in Taiwan: An application of metafrontier analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 15-23, January.
- George E. Battese & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2002. "Technology Gap, Efficiency, and a Stochastic Metafrontier Function," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 87-93, August.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997.
"A Nonparametric Analysis Of Efficiency For A Sample Of Kansas Beef Cow Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Ismet, Mohammad, 1997. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Efficiency for a Sample of Kansas Beef Cow Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(01), pages 175-184, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Antonio Alvarez & Julio del Corral, 2010. "Identifying different technologies using a latent class model: extensive versus intensive dairy farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(2), pages 231-250, June.
- Johannes Sauer & Klaus Frohberg & Henrich Hockmann, 2006. "Stochastic efficiency measurement: The curse of theoretical consistency," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 139-166, May.
- Hossein Mehrabi Boshrabadi & Renato Villano & Euan Fleming, 2008. "Technical efficiency and environmental-technological gaps in wheat production in Kerman province of Iran," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(1), pages 67-76, 01.
- Chih-Hai Yang & Ku-Hsieh Chen, 2009. "Are small firms less efficient?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 375-395, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc11:108947. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.