Cost efficiency and optimal scale of electricity distribution firms in Taiwan: An application of metafrontier analysis
This paper analyzes the cost efficiency and optimal scale of Taiwan's electricity distribution industry. Due to the substantial difference in network density, firms may differ widely in production technology. We employ the stochastic metafrontier approach to estimate the cost efficiency of 24 distribution units during the period 1997-2002. Empirical results find that the average cost efficiency is overestimated using the traditional stochastic frontier model, especially for low density regions. The average cost efficiency of the high density group is significantly higher than that of the low density group as it benefits from network economies. This study also calculates both short-term and long-term optimal scales of electricity distribution firms, lending policy implications for the deregulation of the electricity distribution industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Growitsch & Tooraj Jamasb & Michael Pollitt, 2009.
"Quality of service, efficiency and scale in network industries: an analysis of European electricity distribution,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(20), pages 2555-2570.
- Christian Growitsch & Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2005. "Quality of Service, Efficiency and Scale in Network Industries: An analysis of European electricity distribution," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0538, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Growitsch, Christian & Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael G., 2005. "Quality of Service, Efficiency, and Scale in Network Industries: An Analysis of European Electricity Distribution," IWH Discussion Papers 3/2005, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Schankerman, Mark & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1986. "A test of static equilibrium models and rates of return to quasi-fixed factors, with an application to the Bell system," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 97-118.
- PER AGRELL & Peter Bogetoft & Jørgen Tind, 2005. "DEA and Dynamic Yardstick Competition in Scandinavian Electricity Distribution," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 173-201, 05.
- AGRELL, Per J. & BOGETOFT, Peter & TIND, Jorgen, "undated". "DEA and dynamic yardstick competition in Scandinavian electricity distribution," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1837, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "Regulation and Measuring Cost-Efficiency with Panel Data Models: Application to Electricity Distribution Utilities," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 25(1), pages 1-19, 08.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2003. "Regulation and Measuring Cost Efficiency with Panel Data Models: Application to Electricity Distribution Utilities," CEPE Working paper series 03-19, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Giannakis, Dimitrios & Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2005. "Benchmarking and incentive regulation of quality of service: an application to the UK electricity distribution networks," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2256-2271, November.
- Bagdadioglu, Necmiddin & Waddams Price, Catherine M. & Weyman-Jones, Thomas G., 1996. "Efficiency and ownership in electricity distribution: A non-parametric model of the Turkish experience," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 1-23, April.
- D.S. Prasada Rao & Christopher J. O'Donnell & George E. Battese, 2003. "Metafrontier Functions for the Study of Inter-regional Productivity Differences," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Toru Hattori, 2002. "Relative Performance of U.S. and Japanese Electricity Distribution: An Application of Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 269-284, November.
- Erbetta, Fabrizio & Rappuoli, Luca, 2008. "Optimal scale in the Italian gas distribution industry using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 325-336, April.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Chen, Tser-yieth, 2002. "An assessment of technical efficiency and cross-efficiency in Taiwan's electricity distribution sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 421-433, March.
- George E. Battese & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2002. "Technology Gap, Efficiency, and a Stochastic Metafrontier Function," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 87-93, August.
- Filippini, Massimo & Hrovatin, Nevenka & Zoric, Jelena, 2004. "Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 335-344, February.
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zoric, 2002. "Efficiency and Regulation of the Slovenian Electricity Distribution Companies," CEPE Working paper series 02-14, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Burns, Philip & Weyman-Jones, Thomas G, 1996. "Cost Functions and Cost Efficiency in Electricity Distribution: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 41-64, January.
- Pacudan, Romeo & de Guzman, Elaine, 2002. "Impact of energy efficiency policy to productive efficiency of electricity distribution industry in the Philippines," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 41-54, January.
- Nelson, Randy A., 1985. "Returns to scale from variable and total cost functions : Evidence from the electric power industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 271-276.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2003. "International benchmarking and regulation: an application to European electricity distribution utilities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1609-1622, December.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Lau, Lawrence J. & Yotopoulos, Pan A., 1989. "The meta-production function approach to technological change in world agriculture," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 241-269, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)