Marketing preferences of small-scale farmers in the context of new agrifood systems: a stated choice model
Considering the dynamic changes in agrifood systems in developing countries, this study uses a stated choice model to explore the marketing preferences of small-scale producers of fresh fruits and vegetables in Honduras. Eight attributes, proposed in hypothetical contracts to farmers, are evaluated. The results suggest that farmers have strong marketing preferences associated with new supply chains, such as prearranging prices and quantities with buyers, but have remaining preferences for some attributes of traditional spot markets, such as the lack of grading produce, receiving cash payments, lack of delivery schedules, ability to sell at the farm gate, and ability to sell individually. Further, farmers prefer market channels that do not require major upfront investments. The results suggest that the traditional marketing preferences of farmers could impede participation of small-holders in emerging supply chains and take advantage of the potential opportunities that new agrifood supply chains can offer. [JEL Code: Q13 O14]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levins, Richard A., 2002.
"Collective Bargaining by Farmers: Time For a Fresh Look?,"
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 17(4).
- Levins, Richard A., 2001. "Collective Bargaining By Farmers: Time For a Fresh Look?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 16(4).
- Paggi, Mechel S. & Kennedy, P. Lynn & Yamazaki, Fumiko & Josling, Timothy E., 2005. "Regional Trade Agreements and Implications for US Agriculture: The Case of CAFTA-DR," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2).
- Brian Roe & Thomas L. Sporleder & Betsy Belleville, 2004. "Hog Producer Preferences for Marketing Contract Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 115-123.
- Boehlje, Michael, 1996. "Industrialization of Agriculture: What are the Implications?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 11(1).
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Sukhpal Singh, 2002. "Multi-national corporations and agricultural development: a study of contract farming in the Indian Punjab," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 181-194.
- Reardon, Thomas & Flores, Luis, 2006. "Viewpoint: "Customized competitiveness" strategies for horticultural exporters - Central America focus with lessons from and for other regions," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 483-503, December.
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F. & Harsh, Stephen B., 2001.
"Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F., 1998. "Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum," Staff Papers 11651, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Hall, Jane & Fiebig, Denzil G. & King, Madeleine T. & Hossain, Ishrat & Louviere, Jordan J., 2006. "What influences participation in genetic carrier testing?: Results from a discrete choice experiment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 520-537, May.
- Fairbairn, Brett, 2003. "The Role Of Farmers In The Future Economy," Miscellaneous Publications 31752, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1999.
"Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt3tb6j874, University of California Transportation Center.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1998. "Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 109-129, November.
- Brownstone, David & Train, Kenneth, 1999. "Forecasting new product penetration with flexible substitution patterns," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1j6814b3, University of California Transportation Center.
- Bartels, R. & Fiebig, D.G. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2003.
"Consumers and Experts : An Econometric Analysis of the Demand for Water Heaters,"
2003-26, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert Bartels & Denzil Fiebig & Arthur Soest, 2006. "Consumers and experts: an econometric analysis of the demand for water heaters," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 369-391, June.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles F. & Delgado, Christopher L. & Staal, Steven & Ehui, Simeon K., 1999. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation," MTID discussion papers 35, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wilson, Paul N., 2000. "Social Capital, Trust, And The Agribusiness Of Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Rehber, Erkan, 2000. "Vertical Coordination In The Agro-Food Industry And Contract Farming: A Comparative Study Of Turkey And The Usa," Research Reports 25225, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Per Pinstrup-Andersen, 2002. "Food and Agricultural Policy for a Globalizing World: Preparing for the Future," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1201-1214.
- Saxowsky, David M. & Duncan, Marvin R., 1998. "Understanding Agriculture'S Transition Into The 21st Century: Challenges, Opportunities, Consequences And Alternatives," Agricultural Economics Miscellaneous Reports 23112, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:2:p:251-267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.