Institutional analysis of strategic choice of micro, small, and medium enterprises : a conceptual framework
A conceptual framework is presented showing formal and informal institutions and their relationship with the strategic choice of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in a developing-country setting. Emphasis is placed on how institutions at the subnational level (such as a region or city) influence the strategic orientations of MSMEs in the wake of decentralization, which grants subnational government authorities more political, economic, fiscal, and administrative powers. Furthermore, the paper sheds light on the environmental (institutional) determinism-organizational (strategic) choice nexus. It offers propositions, questions, and issues worth pursuing in future empirical investigations.
Volume (Year): 44 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Diliman, Quezon City 1101|
Web page: http://www.econ.upd.edu.ph/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C. & Scheinberg, Sari, 1992. "Elitists, risk-takers, and rugged individualists? An exploratory analysis of cultural differences between entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 115-135, March.
- Tomasz Lenartowicz & Kendall Roth, 1999. "A Framework for Culture Assessment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(4), pages 781-798, December.
- Bernard Heitger, 2004. "Property Rights and the Wealth of Nations: A Cross-Country Study," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 381-402, Winter.
- Vatn, Arild, 2005. "Rationality, institutions and environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-217, November.
- Landau, Daniel, 2003. "A Simple Theory of Economic Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 217-235, October.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind & Trebbi, Francesco, 2002.
"Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2004. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-165, 06.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 9305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Lewis S., 2006. "Growing apart: The division of labor and the breakdown of informal institutions," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 75-91, March.
- Clark, Terry & Varadarajan, P. Rajan & Pride, William M., 1994. "Environmental management:The construct and research propositions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 23-38, January.
- Lee, Sang M. & Peterson, Suzanne J., 2000. "Culture, entrepreneurial orientation, and global competitiveness," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 401-416, January.
- Leopoldo Fergusson, 2006. "Institutions for Financial Development: What are they and where do they come from?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 27-70, 02.
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C. & Yang, Elena Ai-Yuan & Tsai, William, 1992. "Does culture endure, or is it malleable? Issues for entrepreneurial economic development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 441-458, November.
- Scully, Gerald W, 1988. "The Institutional Framework and Economic Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 652-662, June.
- Erumban, Abdul Azeez & de Jong, Simon B., 2006. "Cross-country differences in ICT adoption: A consequence of Culture?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 302-314, December.
- David Audretsch, 2004. "Sustaining Innovation and Growth: Public Policy Support for Entrepreneurship," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 167-191.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Strong, Carolyn A., 2003. "Business performance and dimensions of strategic orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 163-176, March.
- Douglass C. North, 2005. "Introduction to Understanding the Process of Economic Change," Introductory Chapters, in: Understanding the Process of Economic Change Princeton University Press.
- Skuras, Dimitris & Dimara, Efthalia & Vakrou, Aleka, 2000. "The Day after Grant-Aid: Business Development Schemes for Small Rural Firms in Lagging Areas of Greece," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 125-136, March.
- Paul Vandenberg, 2002. "North's institutionalism and the prospect of combining theoretical approaches," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 217-235, March.
- Georgine Fogel & Alina Zapalska, 2001. "A Comparison of Small and Medium-Size Enterprise Development in Central and Eastern Europe," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 43(3), pages 35-68, September.
- Lukas, Bryan A., 1999. "Strategic Type, Market Orientation, and the Balance between Adaptability and Adaptation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 147-156, June.
- Pelham, Alfred M., 1999. "Influence of Environment, Strategy, and Market Orientation on Performance in Small Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 33-46, May.
- Keith D Brouthers, 2002. "Institutional, Cultural and Transaction Cost Influences on Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 33(2), pages 203-221, June.
- Klaus E. Meyer, 2005. "Foreign Investment Strategies and Sub-national Institutions in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Vietnam," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 63-93, 01.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Mathur, Lynette Knowles & Mathur, Ike, 2000. "The Interrelationship between Culture, Capital Structure, and Performance: Evidence from European Retailers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 185-191, November.
- Olsson, Ola, 2000. "A Microeconomic Analysis of Institutions," Working Papers in Economics 25, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Joanne E Oxley & Bernard Yeung, 2001. "E-Commerce Readiness: Institutional Environment and International Competitiveness," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(4), pages 705-723, December.
- Camelo-Ordaz, Carmen & Martin-Alcazar, Fernando & Valle-Cabrera, Ramon, 2003. "Intangible resources and strategic orientation of companies: An analysis in the Spanish context," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 95-103, February.
- Braga, C.A.P. & Fink, C. & Sepulveda, C.P., 2000. "Intellectual Property Rights and Economic Development," World Bank - Discussion Papers 412, World Bank.
- Yilmaz, Cengiz & Alpkan, Lutfihak & Ergun, Ercan, 2005. "Cultural determinants of customer- and learning-oriented value systems and their joint effects on firm performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1340-1352, October.
- Covin, Jeffrey G. & Slevin, Dennis P., 1990. "New venture strategic posture, structure, and performance: An industry life cycle analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 123-135, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phs:prejrn:v:44:y:2007:i:1:p:151-186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reuben T. Campos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.