Evaluation frequency and evaluator’s experience: the case of venture capital investment firms and monitoring intensity in stage financing
In this paper we analyze the relation between an investor’s experience and the intensity of monitoring activities. Specifically, we consider venture capitalist firms and their choices of time intervals between financing rounds. We hypothesize that more industry investment experience leads to longer time intervals between financing rounds and hence, lower monitoring intensity. Using a unique data set of venture capital firms from Germany during the period from 1995 to 2005 we find evidence for our hypothesis that in a given time frame more experienced investors evaluate and monitor their investments less often than less experienced investors. In addition, VC investors pool their experience and share the risk involved in investing by forming syndicates which reduces the incentives to monitor subsequently. On the basis of our results we argue that the optimal frequency of performance evaluations should take into account the experience of the evaluator. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell II, Terry L. & Frye, Melissa B., 2009. "Venture capitalist monitoring: Evidence from governance structures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 265-282, May.
- David H. Hsu, 2004. "What Do Entrepreneurs Pay for Venture Capital Affiliation?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1805-1844, 08.
- Khaled Abdou & Oscar Varela, 2009. "Is there a puzzle in the failure of venture capital backed portfolio companies?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1439-1452.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Research Papers 1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Yael V. Hochberg & Alexander Ljungqvist & Yang Lu, 2010. "Networking as a Barrier to Entry and the Competitive Supply of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(3), pages 829-859, 06.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1998.
"Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 703-735, August.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1997. "Venture Capital Financing, Moral Hazard and Learning," CEPR Discussion Papers 1738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ulrich Hege & Dirk Bergemann, 1998. "Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning," Post-Print hal-00481696, HAL.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- repec:wuk:andedp:9616 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kollmann, Tobias & Kuckertz, Andreas, 2010. "Evaluation uncertainty of venture capitalists' investment criteria," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 741-747, July.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 355-372.
- Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2010. "Strategic fit, contractual, and procedural governance in alliances," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 682-689, July.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Belén Villalonga, 2004. "Does Diversification Cause the "Diversification Discount"?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(2), Summer.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Boersma, Margreet F. & Buckley, Peter J. & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2003. "Trust in international joint venture relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 1031-1042, December.
- Anil Arya & Jonathan Glover & Pierre Jinghong Liang, 2004. "Intertemporal aggregation and incentives," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 643-657.
- von Kalckreuth, Ulf & Silbermann, Leonid, 2010. "Bubbles and incentives: A post-mortem of the Neuer Markt in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,15, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Krishnan, C. N. V. & Ivanov, Vladimir I. & Masulis, Ronald W. & Singh, Ajai K., 2011. "Venture Capital Reputation, Post-IPO Performance, and Corporate Governance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(05), pages 1295-1333, November.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1979.
"Moral Hazard and Observability,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 74-91, Spring.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Ness, Havard & Haugland, Sven A., 2005. "The evolution of governance mechanisms and negotiation strategies in fixed-duration interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(9), pages 1226-1239, September.
- Bygrave, William D., 1987. "Syndicated investments by venture capital firms: A networking perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 139-154.
- Christian Hopp & Finn Rieder, 2011.
"What drives venture capital syndication?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3089-3102.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anup Agrawal & Tommy Cooper, 2010. "Accounting Scandals in IPO Firms: Do Underwriters and VCs Help?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 1117-1181, December.
- Andy Lockett & Mike Wright, 1999. "The syndication of private equity: Evidence from the UK," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 303-324, October.
- Yael V. Hochberg & Alexander Ljungqvist & Yang Lu, 2007. "Whom You Know Matters: Venture Capital Networks and Investment Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 251-301, 02.
- Cardinaels, Eddy, 2008. "The interplay between cost accounting knowledge and presentation formats in cost-based decision-making," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 582-602, August.
- Tian, Xuan, 2011. "The causes and consequences of venture capital stage financing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 132-159, July.
- Stefan Duffner & Markus M. Schmid & Heinz Zimmermann, 2009. "Trust and Success in Venture Capital Financing-an Empirical Analysis with German Survey Data," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 15-43, 02.
- Joshua Lerner, 1994. "The Syndication of Venture Capital Investments," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Christian Hopp, 2010. "When do venture capitalists collaborate? Evidence on the driving forces of venture capital syndication," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 417-431, November.
- Sapienza, Harry J. & Manigart, Sophie & Vermeir, Wim, 1996. "Venture capitalist governance and value added in four countries," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 439-469, November.
- Li, Yong, 2008. "Duration analysis of venture capital staging: A real options perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 497-512, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jmgtgv:v:18:y:2014:i:2:p:649-674. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.