Lessons of the European crisis for regional monetary and financial integration in East Asia
The debt crisis in several member states of the euro area has raised doubts on the viability of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) and the future of the euro. While the launch of the euro in 1999 stirred a lot of interests in regional monetary integration and even monetary unification in various parts of the world, including East Asia, the current crisis has had the opposite effect, even raising expectations of a break-up of the euro area. Indeed, the crisis has highlighted the problems and tensions that will inevitably arise within a monetary union when imbalances build up and become unsustainable. This article discusses the causes of the current European crisis and the challenges that EMU countries face in solving it. Based on this analysis, it derives five lessons for regional financial and monetary cooperation and integration in East Asia. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2008.
"Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present,"
NBER Working Papers
14321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Reinhart & Vincent Reinhart, 2009. "Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2008, pages 9-62 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Reinhart, Vincent, 2008. "Capital Flow Bonanzas: An Encompassing View of the Past and Present," CEPR Discussion Papers 6996, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011.
"A Tale of Three Countries: Recovery after Banking Crises,"
1106, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "A tale of three countries: recovery after banking crises," Policy Contributions 663, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "A Tale of Three Countries: Recovery after Banking Crises," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1202, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- C. Randall Henning, 2002.
"East Asian Financial Cooperation,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa68, 03.
- McKay Julie & Volz Ulrich & Wölfinger Regine, 2011. "Regional Financing Arrangements and the Stability of the International Monetary System," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, August.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010.
"Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation: Stakes and Options for Asia,"
- Plummer, Michael, 2010. "Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation: Stakes and Options for Asia," ADBI Working Papers 201, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010. "Regional Monitoring of Capital Flows and Coordination of Financial Regulation : Stakes and Options for Asia," Finance Working Papers 22017, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Sussangkarn, Chalongphob, 2010. "The Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralization: Origin, Development and Outlook," ADBI Working Papers 230, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ulrich Volz, 2010. "Prospects for Monetary Cooperation and Integration in East Asia," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262013991, August.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Ito, Takatoshi, 2002.
"On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 317-334, September.
- Eiji Ogawa & Takatoshi Ito, 2000. "On the Desirability of a Regional Basket Currency Arrangement," NBER Working Papers 8002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ulrich volz, 2012. "Strengthening Cooperation between Regional Financing," PAPERS AND PROCEEDINGS 011855, FONDO LATINO AMERICANO DE RESERVAS - FLAR.
- Suarez, Javier, 2010.
"The Spanish Crisis: Background and Policy Challenges,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Suarez, 2010. "The Spanish Crisis: Background And Policy Challenges," Working Papers wp2010_1005, CEMFI.
- Lars Jonung, 2009. "The Swedish model for resolving the banking crisis of 1991 - 93. Seven reasons why it was successful," European Economy - Economic Papers 360, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Anat Admati & Martin Hellwig, 2013. "The Bankers' New Clothes: What's Wrong with Banking and What to Do about It," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 9929.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1998. "Capital Flows and Capital-Market Crises: The Simple Economics of Sudden Stops," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 35-54, November.
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Timoney, Kevin & Byrne, David, 2013. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, Autumn 2013," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20133, March.
- Fitz Gerald, John & Kearney, Ide, 2011. "Irish Government Debt and Implied Debt Dynamics: 2011-2015," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), issue 3-Autumn.
- Fujii, Mariko & Kawai, Masahiro, 2010. "Lessons from Japan's Banking Crisis, 1991–2005," ADBI Working Papers 222, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Chalongphob Sussangkarn, 2010. "The Chiang Mai Initiative Multilateralization : Origin, Development and Outlook," Governance Working Papers 22821, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Masahiro Kawai & Mariko Fujii, 2010. "Lessons from Japanâ€™s Banking Crisis," Working Papers id:2992, eSocialSciences.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2006. "On the feasibility of a regional exchange rate system for East Asia: Lessons of the 1992/1993 EMS crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1107-1127, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:asiaeu:v:11:y:2013:i:4:p:355-376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.