Recent Trends in Trade Union Membership in Ireland
Using micro data from the Quarterly National Household Survey we look at trends in Irish union membership from 2001-2006. There was a steep decline in union density. Decomposition analysis suggests that most of the decline is associated with a decline in the underlying probability of becoming a member for different groups of workers rather than a change in composition.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Bryson & P Willman, 2007.
"Union Organization in Great Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0774, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hirsch, Barry, 2007.
"Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2008. "Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 153-176, Winter.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2001-09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Booth, Alison L & Bryan, Mark L, 2001.
"The Union Membership Wage Premium Puzzle: Is There A Free-Rider Problem?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2879, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alison L. Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2004. "The Union Membership Wage-Premium Puzzle: Is There a Free Rider Problem?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(3), pages 402-421, April.
- Alison L. Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2004. "The union membership wage-premium puzzle: Is there a free rider problem?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(3), pages 402-421, April.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Jo Blanden & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2005.
"New survey evidence on recent changes in UK union recognition,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
768, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jo Blanden & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2005. "New Survey Evidence on Recent Changes in UK Union Recognition," CEP Discussion Papers dp0685, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Machin, 2000.
"Union Decline in Britain,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 631-645, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:40:y:2009:i:1:p:117-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.