Recent Trends in Trade Union Membership in Ireland
Using micro data from the Quarterly National Household Survey we look at trends in Irish union membership from 2001-2006. There was a steep decline in union density. Decomposition analysis suggests that most of the decline is associated with a decline in the underlying probability of becoming a member for different groups of workers rather than a change in composition.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2008.
"Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 153-176, Winter.
- Hirsch, Barry, 2007. "Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?," IZA Discussion Papers 2930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Booth, Alison L & Bryan, Mark L, 2001.
"The Union Membership Wage Premium Puzzle: Is There A Free-Rider Problem?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2879, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alison L. Booth & Mark L. Bryan, 2004. "The Union Membership Wage-Premium Puzzle: Is There a Free Rider Problem?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(3), pages 402-421, April.
- Booth, Alison L. & Bryan, Mark L., 2001. "The union membership wage-premium puzzle: is there a free rider problem?," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-09, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Jo Blanden & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2005.
"New Survey Evidence on Recent Changes in UK Union Recognition,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0685, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jo Blanden & Stephen Machin & John Van Reenen, 2005. "New survey evidence on recent changes in UK union recognition," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 768, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alex Bryson & P Willman, 2007.
"Union Organization in Great Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0774, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Machin, 2000.
"Union decline in Britain,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20191, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:40:y:2009:i:1:p:117-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Lawless)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.