Revisiting the “Cotton Problem”—A Comparative Analysis of Cotton Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa
The cotton sector has been among the most regulated in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), and still largely is in West and Central Africa (WCA), despite repeated reform recommendations by international donors. On the other hand, orthodox reforms in East and Southern Africa (ESA) have not always yielded the expected results. This paper uses a stylized contracting model to investigate the link between market structure and equity and efficiency in SSA cotton sectors; explain the outcomes of reforms in ESA; and analyze the potential consequences of reforms in WCA. We illustrate our arguments with empirical observations on cotton sector performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & Zulu, Ballard & Ofico, Afonso Osorio & de Marrule, Higino Francisco, 2003.
"Cotton Sector Policies And Performance In Sub-Saharan Africa:Lessons Behind The Numbers In Mozambique And Zambia,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25855, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & de Marrule, Higino Francisco & Osorio, Afonso & Zulu, Ballard, 2002. "Cotton Sector Policies and Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons Behind the Numbers in Mozambique and Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 55233, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas. & Johnson, Michael., 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
Food policy reports
10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Scott Rozelle & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2004. "Success and Failure of Reform: Insights from the Transition of Agriculture," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 404-456, June.
- Kabwe, Stephen & Tschirley, David L., 2007. "Farm Yields and Returns to Farmers From Seed Cotton: Does Zambia Measure Up?," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54633, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin, 2004. "Market and Coordination Failures in Poor Rural Economies: Policy Implications for Agricultural and Rural Development," 2004 Inaugural Symposium, December 6-8, 2004, Nairobi, Kenya 9535, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Paul MAKDISSI & Quentin WODON, 2004. "Price Liberalization and Farmer Welfare Under Risk Aversion: Cotton in Benin and Ivory Coast," Cahiers de recherche 04-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Anneleen Vandeplas & Miet Maertens, 2010. "Liberalization, Endogenous Institutions, and Growth: A Comparative Analysis of Agricultural Reforms in Africa, Asia, and Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 24(3), pages 412-445, December.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto, 2005.
"Market Structure, Outgrower contracs and Farm Output. Evidence from Cotton Reforms in Zambia,"
NBER Working Papers
11804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2011. "Market structure, outgrower contracts, and farm output. Evidence from cotton reforms in Zambia," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 740-766, December.
- Anderson, Kym & Masters, William A., 2007.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Africa,"
Agricultural Distortions Working Paper
48554, World Bank.
- Shepherd, Ben & Delpeuch, Claire, 2007. "Subsidies and regulatory reform in West African cotton: What are the development stakes?," MPRA Paper 2289, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary S. Becker, 1984.
"Public Policies, Pressure Groups, and Dead Weight Costs,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
35, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Becker, Gary S., 1985. "Public policies, pressure groups, and dead weight costs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 329-347, December.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003.
"Commodity market reform in Africa : some recent experience,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2995, The World Bank.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003. "Commodity market reform in Africa: some recent experience," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 83-115, March.
- Swinnen Johan & Vandeplas Anneleen, 2012.
"Rich Consumers and Poor Producers: Quality and Rent Distribution in Global Value Chains,"
Journal of Globalization and Development,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-30, January.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Rich consumers and poor producers: Quality and rent distribution in global value chains," IFPRI discussion papers 932, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Shaffer, James D. & Staatz, John M. & Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Improving the Impact of Market Reform on Agricultural Productivity in Africa: How Institutional Design Makes a Difference," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54684, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Alessandro Olper, 2001. "Determinants of Agricultural Protection: The Role of Democracy and Institutional Setting Alessandro Olper," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 75-92.
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002.
"Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin,"
MSSD discussion papers
48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nicholas Minot & Lisa Daniels, 2005. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 453-466, November.
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," MTID discussion papers 48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2009. "The Growth of Agricultural Protection in Europe in the 19th and 20th Centuries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(11), pages 1499-1537, November.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995.
"Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 401-23, January.
- Anderson, Kym, 1993. "Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baffes, John, 2004. "Cotton : Market setting, trade policies, and issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3218, The World Bank.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek D. & Bernard, Tanguy, 2010.
"The Burkinabe Cotton Story 1999-2007: Sustainable Success of Sub-Saharan Mirage?,"
93137, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2011. "The Burkinabè Cotton Story 1992-2007: Sustainable Success or Sub-Saharan Mirage?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1460-1475, August.
- Gillham, F.E.M. & Bell. T.M. & Arin, T. & Matthews, G.A. & Le Rumeur, C. & Hearn, A.B., 1995. "Cotton Production Prospects for the Next Decade," Papers 287, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Townsend, R.F., 1999. "Agriculture Incentives in Sub-Saharan Africa. Policy Challanges," Papers 444, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Anand V. Swamy & Rachel E. Kranton, 2006.
"Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India,"
Center for Development Economics
2006-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Rachel Kranton & Anand V. Swamy, 2008. "Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 967-89, June.
- Anand V. Swamy & Rachel E. Kranton, 2006. "Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India," Department of Economics Working Papers 2006-05, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Goreux, Louis & Masson, Paul, 2002.
"Cotton sector strategies in West and Central Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2867, The World Bank.
- Louis M. Goreux & Paul R. Masson & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Ousmane Badiane, 2002. "Cotton Sector Strategies in West and Central Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/173, International Monetary Fund.
- David L. Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Nicholas Gergely & Patrick Labaste & John Baffes & Duncan Boughton & Gérald Estur, 2010. "Institutional Diversity and Performance in African Cotton Sectors," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(3), pages 295-323, 05.
- Ilhem Baghdadli & Hela Cheikhrouhou & Gael Raballand, 2007. "Strategies for Cotton in West and Central Africa : Enhancing Competitiveness in the "Cotton 4"," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6784, June.
- Bates, Robert H. & Block, Steven A., 2009. "Political Economy of Agricultural Trade Interventions in Africa," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50302, World Bank.
- Dercon, Stefan, 1993. "Peasant Supply Response and Macroeconomic Policies: Cotton in Tanzania," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 2(2), pages 157-94, October.
- Beghin, John C. & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994.
"Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection,"
Staff General Research Papers
1602, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994. "Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 482-89, August.
- Knudsen, O. & Nash, J., 1990. "Redefinig The Role Of Governement In Agriculture For The 1990s," World Bank - Discussion Papers 105, World Bank.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Anneleen Vandeplas & Miet Maertens, 2009. "Liberalization with Endogenous Institutions: A Comparative Analysis of Agricultural Reform in Africa, Asia, and Europe," LICOS Discussion Papers 23309, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- David Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Patrick Labaste, 2009. "Organization and Performance of Cotton Sectors in Africa : Learning from Reform Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2604, June.
- Lucy White & Mark Williams, 2009. "Bargaining with imperfect enforcement," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(2), pages 317-339.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Vitale, Jeffrey D. & Sanders, John H., 2005. "Estimating the Impacts of Liberalization in West Africa: The Malian Case," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19481, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Scott Rozelle, 2009. "Governance Structures and Resource Policy Reform: Insights from Agricultural Transition," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 33-54, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:42:y:2013:i:c:p:209-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.