Revisiting the “cotton problem”: A comparative analysis of cotton reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa
The cotton sector has been amongst the most regulated in West and Central Africa (WCA), and still is to a large extent, despite repeated reform recommendations by international donors. On the other hand, orthodox reforms in East and Southern Africa (ESA) have not always yielded the expected results. This paper uses a stylized contracting model to investigate the link between market structure and equity and efficiency in sub-Saharan cotton sectors and analyze the potential consequences of orthodox reforms in WCA. We argue that the level of the world price and of government intervention, the degree of post-reform competition, as well as the degree of parastatal inefficiency, all contribute to making reforms less attractive (but not less pressing) to farmers and governments in WCA today, as compared to ESA in the 1990s. We illustrate our arguments with empirical observations on the performance of cotton sectors across sub-Saharan Africa.
|Date of creation:||29 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knudsen, O. & Nash, J., 1990. "Redefinig The Role Of Governement In Agriculture For The 1990s," World Bank - Discussion Papers 105, World Bank.
- Lucy White & Mark Williams, 2009. "Bargaining with imperfect enforcement," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(2), pages 317-339.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Swinnen Johan & Vandeplas Anneleen, 2012.
"Rich Consumers and Poor Producers: Quality and Rent Distribution in Global Value Chains,"
Journal of Globalization and Development,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-30, January.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Rich consumers and poor producers: Quality and rent distribution in global value chains," IFPRI discussion papers 932, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Anneleen Vandeplas & Miet Maertens, 2009. "Liberalization with Endogenous Institutions: A Comparative Analysis of Agricultural Reform in Africa, Asia, and Europe," LICOS Discussion Papers 23309, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Townsend, R.F., 1999. "Agriculture Incentives in Sub-Saharan Africa. Policy Challanges," Papers 444, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Kym Anderson & William A. Masters, 2009.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Africa,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2607.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Vitale, Jeffrey D. & Sanders, John H., 2005. "Estimating the Impacts of Liberalization in West Africa: The Malian Case," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19481, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Scott Rozelle, 2009. "Governance Structures and Resource Policy Reform: Insights from Agricultural Transition," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 33-54, 09.
- Beghin, John C. & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994.
"Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection,"
Staff General Research Papers
1602, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994. "Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 482-89, August.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Goreux, Louis & Masson, Paul, 2002. "Cotton sector strategies in West and Central Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2867, The World Bank.
- Alessandro Olper, 2001. "Determinants of Agricultural Protection: The Role of Democracy and Institutional Setting Alessandro Olper," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 75-92.
- Rachel Kranton & Anand V. Swamy, 2008.
"Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 967-89, June.
- Anand V. Swamy & Rachel E. Kranton, 2006. "Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India," Center for Development Economics 2006-01, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Anand V. Swamy & Rachel E. Kranton, 2006. "Contracts, Hold-Up, and Exports: Textiles and Opium in Colonial India," Department of Economics Working Papers 2006-05, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Louis M. Goreux & Paul R. Masson & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Ousmane Badiane, 2002. "Cotton Sector Strategies in West and Central Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Kabwe, Stephen & Tschirley, David L., 2007. "Farm Yields and Returns to Farmers From Seed Cotton: Does Zambia Measure Up?," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54633, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2009. "The Growth of Agricultural Protection in Europe in the 19th and 20th Centuries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(11), pages 1499-1537, November.
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002.
"Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin,"
MSSD discussion papers
48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nicholas Minot & Lisa Daniels, 2005. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 453-466, November.
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," MTID discussion papers 48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dercon, Stefan, 1993. "Peasant Supply Response and Macroeconomic Policies: Cotton in Tanzania," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 2(2), pages 157-94, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1984.
"Public Policies, Pressure Groups, and Dead Weight Costs,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
35, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Becker, Gary S., 1985. "Public policies, pressure groups, and dead weight costs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 329-347, December.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto, 2005.
"Market Structure, Outgrower contracs and Farm Output. Evidence from Cotton Reforms in Zambia,"
NBER Working Papers
11804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2011. "Market structure, outgrower contracts, and farm output. Evidence from cotton reforms in Zambia," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 740-766, December.
- Scott Rozelle & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2004. "Success and Failure of Reform: Insights from the Transition of Agriculture," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 404-456, June.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin, 2004. "Market and Coordination Failures in Poor Rural Economies: Policy Implications for Agricultural and Rural Development," 2004 Inaugural Symposium, December 6-8, 2004, Nairobi, Kenya 9535, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & Zulu, Ballard & Ofico, Afonso Osorio & de Marrule, Higino Francisco, 2003.
"Cotton Sector Policies And Performance In Sub-Saharan Africa:Lessons Behind The Numbers In Mozambique And Zambia,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25855, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & de Marrule, Higino Francisco & Osorio, Afonso & Zulu, Ballard, 2002. "Cotton Sector Policies and Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons Behind the Numbers in Mozambique and Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 55233, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Anneleen Vandeplas & Miet Maertens, 2010. "Liberalization, Endogenous Institutions, and Growth: A Comparative Analysis of Agricultural Reforms in Africa, Asia, and Europe," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 24(3), pages 412-445, December.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995.
"Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 401-23, January.
- Anderson, Kym, 1993. "Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2011.
"The Burkinabè Cotton Story 1992-2007: Sustainable Success or Sub-Saharan Mirage?,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1460-1475, August.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek D. & Bernard, Tanguy, 2010. "The Burkinabe Cotton Story 1999-2007: Sustainable Success of Sub-Saharan Mirage?," Discussion Papers 93137, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- David Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Patrick Labaste, 2009. "Organization and Performance of Cotton Sectors in Africa : Learning from Reform Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2604.
- Gillham, F.E.M. & Bell. T.M. & Arin, T. & Matthews, G.A. & Le Rumeur, C. & Hearn, A.B., 1995. "Cotton Production Prospects for the Next Decade," Papers 287, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003.
"Commodity market reform in Africa: some recent experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 83-115, March.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003. "Commodity market reform in Africa : some recent experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2995, The World Bank.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas. & Johnson, Michael., 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
Food policy reports
10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David L. Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Nicholas Gergely & Patrick Labaste & John Baffes & Duncan Boughton & Gérald Estur, 2010. "Institutional Diversity and Performance in African Cotton Sectors," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(3), pages 295-323, 05.
- Baffes, John, 2004. "Cotton : Market setting, trade policies, and issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3218, The World Bank.
- Ilhem Baghdadli & Hela Cheikhrouhou & Gael Raballand, 2007. "Strategies for Cotton in West and Central Africa : Enhancing Competitiveness in the "Cotton 4"," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6784.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Shaffer, James D. & Staatz, John M. & Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Improving the Impact of Market Reform on Agricultural Productivity in Africa: How Institutional Design Makes a Difference," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54684, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Paul MAKDISSI & Quentin WODON, 2004. "Price Liberalization and Farmer Welfare Under Risk Aversion: Cotton in Benin and Ivory Coast," Cahiers de recherche 04-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Bates, Robert H. & Block, Steven A., 2009. "Political Economy of Agricultural Trade Interventions in Africa," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50302, World Bank.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Shepherd, Ben & Delpeuch, Claire, 2007. "Subsidies and regulatory reform in West African cotton: What are the development stakes?," MPRA Paper 2289, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc10:91806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.