Strategies for Cotton in West and Central Africa : Enhancing Competitiveness in the "Cotton 4"
The objective of this report is to identify ways of enhancing competitiveness through sector reforms in Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad, and Mali (the Cotton-4). The report promotes best practices to manage cost and define sales strategies so as to enhance the contribution of the cotton sector to shared growth and lessen the risk of contingent liabilities borne by the countries. Areas of improvement, investigated in the report, are associated with the following three targets: 1) increasing yields to produce larger volumes; 2) reducing cost and increasing the reliability of grading; and 3) enhancing sales revenues. The report also explains how these targets can be effectively pursued through sector reforms. Guidance is provided on the types of investors needed to improve the competitiveness of the cotton sector in West and Central Africa and ways to design privatization lots.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6784 and published in 2007.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhavani Shankar & Colin Thirtle, 2005. "Pesticide Productivity and Transgenic Cotton Technology: The South African Smallholder Case," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 97-116.
- Philippe Hugon & Abel Mayeyenda, 2003. "Les effets des politiques des prix dans les filières coton en Afrique zone franc: analyse empirique," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 275(1), pages 66-82.
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1981.
"Moral Hazard in Teams,"
471, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Stephen Tokarick, 2003. "Measuring the Impact of Distortions in Agricultural Trade in Partial and General Equilibrium," IMF Working Papers 03/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Sarris, Alexander H., 2000. "Has world cereal market instability increased?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-350, June.
- Gonzalo Pastor & Ron Van Rooden, 2004. "Turkmenistan The Burden of Current Agricultural Policies," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(1), pages 35-58, January.
- Louis M. Goreux & Paul R Masson & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Ousmane Badiane, 2002.
"Cotton Sector Strategies in West and Central Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
02/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Goreux, Louis & Masson, Paul, 2002. "Cotton sector strategies in West and Central Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2867, The World Bank.
- Gillson, I & Poulton, Colin & Balcombe, Kelvin & Page, S, 2004. "Understanding the impact of Cotton Subsidies on developing countries," MPRA Paper 15373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Franco Modigliani, 1958. "New Developments on the Oligopoly Front," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 215.
- Vald S, Alberto & Foster, William, 2003. "Special safeguards for developing country agriculture: a proposal for WTO negotiations," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 5-31, March.
- Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Patrick PLANE, 2003. "Preserving vertical co-ordination in the West African cotton sector," Working Papers 200303, CERDI.
- Raballand, Gael & Kunth, Antoine & Auty, Richard, 2005. "Central Asia's transport cost burden and its impact on trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 6-31, March.
- Csaki, C., 2000. "Agricultural reforms in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union: Status and Perspectives," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(1), January.
- Claude Freud, 1999. "Politiques des prix et performances des filières cotonnières en Afrique," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 40(160), pages 929-941.
- Csaki, C., 2000. "Agricultural reforms in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union: Status and perspectives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 37-54, January.
- Goletti, Francesco & Chabot, Philippe, 2000. "Food policy research for improving the reform of agricultural input and output markets in Central Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 661-679, December.
- Welch, D. & Fremond, O., 1998. "The Case-by-Case Approach to Privatization. Techniques and Examples," Papers 403, World Bank - Technical Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:6784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.