Sub-Saharan African Cotton Policies in Retrospect
Using a series of market structure criteria, this paper gives a panorama of policies and reforms in all sub-saharan African cotton producing countries from the early 1960s to the present time. Reporting institutional changes precisely and in a consistent manner for all countries offers new opportunities for empirical comparative work. In addition, we identify trends in policy changes, which, to our knowledge, have not yet been described; in particular, we observe a recent but clear tendency towards re-regulation, which, interestingly, seems to transcend the traditional geographical divide.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya|
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
Web page: http://www.aeasa.org.za/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis M. Goreux & Paul R Masson & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Ousmane Badiane, 2002.
"Cotton Sector Strategies in West and Central Africa,"
IMF Working Papers
02/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Goreux, Louis & Masson, Paul, 2002. "Cotton sector strategies in West and Central Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2867, The World Bank.
- Kaminski, Jonathan & Headey, Derek & Bernard, Tanguy, 2009. "Institutional reform in the Burkinabè cotton sector and its impacts on incomes and food security: 1996-2006," IFPRI discussion papers 920, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nicholas Minot & Lisa Daniels, 2005.
"Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 453-466, November.
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," MSSD discussion papers 48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minot, Nicholas & Daniels, Lisa, 2002. "Impact of global cotton markets on rural poverty in Benin," MTID discussion papers 48, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ilhem Baghdadli & Hela Cheikhrouhou & Gael Raballand, 2007. "Strategies for Cotton in West and Central Africa : Enhancing Competitiveness in the "Cotton 4"," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6784.
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & Zulu, Ballard & Ofico, Afonso Osorio & de Marrule, Higino Francisco, 2003.
"Cotton Sector Policies And Performance In Sub-Saharan Africa:Lessons Behind The Numbers In Mozambique And Zambia,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25855, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Boughton, Duncan & Tschirley, David L. & de Marrule, Higino Francisco & Osorio, Afonso & Zulu, Ballard, 2002. "Cotton Sector Policies and Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons Behind the Numbers in Mozambique and Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 55233, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- David L. Tschirley & Colin Poulton & Nicholas Gergely & Patrick Labaste & John Baffes & Duncan Boughton & Gérald Estur, 2010. "Institutional Diversity and Performance in African Cotton Sectors," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(3), pages 295-323, 05.
- John Baffes, 2004. "Tanzania's Cotton Sector: Reforms, Constraints and Challenges," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22(1), pages 75-96, 01.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Vandeplas, Anneleen & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2010.
"Revisiting the “cotton problem”: A comparative analysis of cotton reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland
91806, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2013. "Revisiting the “Cotton Problem”—A Comparative Analysis of Cotton Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 209-221.
- Claire Delpeuch & Anneleen Vandeplas & Johan F.M.Swinnen, 2011. "Revisiting the "cotton problem": A comparative analysis of cotton reforms in sub-Saharan Africa," LICOS Discussion Papers 29011, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2011. "Revisiting the "Cotton Problem" - A Comparative Analysis of Cotton Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114446, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Delpeuch, Claire & Vandeplas, Anneleen & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2010. "Revisiting the "Cotton Problem:" A Comparative Analysis of Cotton Reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96176, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Delpeuch, Claire & Vandeplas, Anneleen & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2010. "Revisiting the “Cotton Problem”: A comparative analysis of cotton reforms in Sub-Saharan Africa," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 62042, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Patrick PLANE, 2003. "Preserving vertical co-ordination in the West African cotton sector," Working Papers 200303, CERDI.
- Giuliano Paola & Scalise Diego, 2009. "The Political Economy of Agricultural Market Reforms in Developing Countries," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, August.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido G. Porto, 2011.
"Market structure, outgrower contracts, and farm output. Evidence from cotton reforms in Zambia,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 740-766, December.
- Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto, 2005. "Market Structure, Outgrower contracs and Farm Output. Evidence from Cotton Reforms in Zambia," NBER Working Papers 11804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Gibbon, 1999. "Free competition without sustainable development? Tanzanian cotton sector liberalisation, 1994/95 to 1997/98," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 128-150.
- Kabwe, Stephen & Tschirley, David L., 2007. "Farm Yields and Returns to Farmers From Seed Cotton: Does Zambia Measure Up?," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54633, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dercon, Stefan, 1993. "Peasant Supply Response and Macroeconomic Policies: Cotton in Tanzania," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 2(2), pages 157-94, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaae10:96174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.