Airline ambidextrous competition under an emissions trading scheme – A reference-dependent behavioral perspective
This study presents a reference-dependent Hotelling model for analyzing airline competition in pricing and green transportation investment, as well as the resulting financial performance under the European Union emission trading scheme. One feature of the proposed methodology is that it embeds psychological benefits/costs of consumers to characterize consumer attitudes to the increases in airline fare adjustments and improvements in green transportation. This study then investigates the equilibrium solutions for airfare adjustment and green transportation investment margins in different scenarios. The analytical results reveal specific operational conditions under which a cost-efficient airline can gain supreme competitive advantage by increasing both airfare and green transportation investment margins beyond the increases made by competitors under the emission trading scheme, whereas certain specific conditions may favor a cost leadership strategy. Conversely, a cost-inefficient airline can compete with a cost-efficient airline in both market share and profitability using the green transportation investment-differentiation strategy, particularly when consumers perceive the airfare difference as equaling the increased psychological benefit induced by the airline’s green effort.
Volume (Year): 60 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yagci, Mehmet I. & Biswas, Abhijit & Dutta, Sujay, 2009. "Effects of comparative advertising format on consumer responses: The moderating effects of brand image and attribute relevance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 768-774, August.
- Botond Koszegi & Matthew Rabin, 2004.
"A Model of Reference-Dependent Preferences,"
Method and Hist of Econ Thought
- Botond Koszegi & Matthew Rabin, 2005. "A Model of Reference-Dependent Preferences," Levine's Bibliography 784828000000000341, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Koszegi, Botond & Rabin, Matthew, 2004. "A Model of Reference-Dependent Preferences," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0w82b6nm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Zhou, Jidong, 2008.
"Reference Dependence and Market Competition,"
9370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Anming Zhang, 2009.
"Airline Emission Charges: Effects on Airfares, Service Quality, and Aircraft Design,"
080916, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Zhang, Anming, 2010. "Airline emission charges: Effects on airfares, service quality, and aircraft design," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 960-971, September.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Anming Zhang, 2009. "Airline Emission Charges: Effects on Airfares, Service Quality, and Aircraft Design," CESifo Working Paper Series 2547, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sgouridis, Sgouris & Bonnefoy, Philippe A. & Hansman, R. John, 2011. "Air transportation in a carbon constrained world: Long-term dynamics of policies and strategies for mitigating the carbon footprint of commercial aviation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1077-1091.
- Morrell, Peter, 2007. "An evaluation of possible EU air transport emissions trading scheme allocation methods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5562-5570, November.
- Mason, Keith J., 2005. "Observations of fundamental changes in the demand for aviation services," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 19-25.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Chen, Linxi & Yang, Hai, 2012. "Managing congestion and emissions in road networks with tolls and rebates," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 933-948.
- Anger, Annela & Köhler, Jonathan, 2010. "Including aviation emissions in the EU ETS: Much ado about nothing? A review," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 38-46, January.
- Egenhofer, Christian, 2007. "The Making of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme:: Status, Prospects and Implications for Business," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 453-463, December.
- Chen, Kang & Yang, Zhongzhen & Notteboom, Theo, 2014. "The design of coastal shipping services subject to carbon emission reduction targets and state subsidy levels," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 192-211.
- Richard H. Thaler, 2008.
"Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice,"
INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 15-25, 01-02.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming, 2013. "Local sourcing and fashion quick response system: The impacts of carbon footprint tax," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 43-54.
- Tsai, Wen-Hsien & Lee, Kuen-Chang & Liu, Jau-Yang & Lin, Hsiu-Ling & Chou, Yu-Wei & Lin, Sin-Jin, 2012. "A mixed activity-based costing decision model for green airline fleet planning under the constraints of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 218-226.
- Malina, Robert & McConnachie, Dominic & Winchester, Niven & Wollersheim, Christoph & Paltsev, Sergey & Waitz, Ian A., 2012. "The impact of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme on US aviation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 36-41.
- Adler, Nicole & Martini, Gianmaria & Volta, Nicola, 2013. "Measuring the environmental efficiency of the global aviation fleet," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 82-100.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- J.-P. Boissin & A. Fayolle & Karim Messeghem, 2012. " Editorial ," Post-Print halshs-00783612, HAL.
- Albers, Sascha & BÃ¼hne, Jan-AndrÃ© & Peters, Heiko, 2009. "Will the EU-ETS instigate airline network reconfigurations?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-6.
- René Carmona & Juri Hinz, 2011. "Risk-Neutral Models for Emission Allowance Prices and Option Valuation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(8), pages 1453-1468, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:60:y:2014:i:c:p:115-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.