Assessing the equity impact of the European Union Emission Trading Scheme on an African airline
The European Union Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS) included aviation activity in 2012, with free emissions allowances being allocated to each airline. The EU ETS is a market-based measure, which the European Union has introduced for aiming at reducing emissions and meeting the targets specified under the Kyoto Protocol. One of the largest issues is equity. The first multinational emission trading scheme resulted in many regulatory issues and objections by a number of countries and airlines concerning its legality under the Chicago Convention. In addition, under the Kyoto Protocol, ratified countries have different responsibilities and roles based on whether they are Annex I or non-Annex I countries. Hence, this paper attempted to investigate the equity issues by measuring the impact of the EU ETS on an African airline compared to airlines in an Annex I country. The results of case study indicate that there are some differences in terms of equity between Annex I and non-Annex I carriers and their passengers. The instrument is proven to be cost-effective; however, the economic rationality arguments seem to be weak with respect to the volatility in individual behaviour and the vulnerability of non-Annex I carriers which is caused by competition with Annex-I carriers. A transparent distribution of revenue from the EU ETS could be one way of moderating the equity gap between carriers and passengers.
Volume (Year): 33 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albers, Sascha & BÃ¼hne, Jan-AndrÃ© & Peters, Heiko, 2009. "Will the EU-ETS instigate airline network reconfigurations?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-6.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2010.
"An overview of current research on EU ETS: Evidence from its operating mechanism and economic effect,"
Elsevier, vol. 87(6), pages 1804-1814, June.
- Yue-Jun Zhang & Yi-Ming Wei, 2009. "An overview of current research on EU ETS: Evidence from its operating mechanism and economic effect," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 3, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Miyoshi, C. & Mason, K.J., 2009. "The carbon emissions of selected airlines and aircraft types in three geographic markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 138-147.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Mattsson, Lars-Göran, 2006. "Equity effects of congestion pricing: Quantitative methodology and a case study for Stockholm," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 602-620, August.
- Sgouridis, Sgouris & Bonnefoy, Philippe A. & Hansman, R. John, 2011. "Air transportation in a carbon constrained world: Long-term dynamics of policies and strategies for mitigating the carbon footprint of commercial aviation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1077-1091.
- Morrell, Peter, 2007. "An evaluation of possible EU air transport emissions trading scheme allocation methods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5562-5570, November.
- Bredin, Don & Muckley, Cal, 2011. "An emerging equilibrium in the EU emissions trading scheme," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 353-362, March.
- Malina, Robert & McConnachie, Dominic & Winchester, Niven & Wollersheim, Christoph & Paltsev, Sergey & Waitz, Ian A., 2012. "The impact of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme on US aviation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 36-41.
- Scheelhaase, Janina D. & Grimme, Wolfgang G., 2007. "Emissions trading for international aviationâ€”an estimation of the economic impact on selected European airlines," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 253-263.
- Derigs, Ulrich & Illing, Stefan, 2013. "Does EU ETS instigate Air Cargo network reconfiguration? A model-based analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(3), pages 518-527. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:33:y:2014:i:c:p:56-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.