Including aviation in the European emissions trading scheme: Impacts on the industry, CO2 emissions and macroeconomic activity in the EU
In July 2008, motivated by the expected high growth of aviation and the related impacts on climate change, the European Parliament adopted a directive to include airlines in the European Emissions Trading Scheme. This paper discusses possible impacts of this inclusion on the aviation industry in terms of CO2 emissions and the macroeconomic activity in the EU. The analysis uses the Energyâ€“Environmentâ€“Economy Model for Europe, a dynamic simulation model to investigate impacts of the European Emissions Trading Scheme on air transport. The impacts on air transport output and the macroeconomic effects are estimated to be small. This was robust to varying the carbon price. However, air transport CO2 emissions were expected to decrease by up to 7.4%, which is more than that estimated previously and stems mainly from the supply-side reaction of the industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayor, Karen & Tol, Richard S.J., 2007.
"The impact of the UK aviation tax on carbon dioxide emissions and visitor numbers,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 507-513, November.
- Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "The Impact Of The Uk Aviation Tax On Carbon Dioxide Emissions And Visitor Numbers," Working Papers FNU-131, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Apr 2007.
- Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "The Impact of the UK Aviation Tax on Carbon Dioxide Emissions and Visitor Numbers," Papers WP187, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Ekins, Paul & Barker, Terry, 2001. " Carbon Taxes and Carbon Emissions Trading," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 325-376, July.
- Jonathan Köhler & Ying Jin & Terry Barker, 2008. "Integrated Modelling of EU Transport Policy: Assessing Economic Growth Impacts from Social Marginal Cost Pricing and Infrastructure Investment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Morrell, Peter, 2007. "An evaluation of possible EU air transport emissions trading scheme allocation methods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5562-5570, November.
- Scheelhaase, Janina D. & Grimme, Wolfgang G., 2007. "Emissions trading for international aviationâ€”an estimation of the economic impact on selected European airlines," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 253-263.
- Barker, Terry & Junankar, Sudhir & Pollitt, Hector & Summerton, Philip, 2007. "Carbon leakage from unilateral Environmental Tax Reforms in Europe, 1995-2005," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6281-6292, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)